• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question (Dropping Transmission Pan / Valve Body)

jpinreno

Hello,

2002 LMTV - M1078 A1 WTEC III

After dealing with transmission codes, we have tested the harness, Trans ECM, and all values to find the cause of 44-16 which is a short to ground of the "E" Solenoid. I have been told it is usually wiring, but after a month of testing, we can;t identify anything out of sorts. All have been followed by both the FMTV manuals as well as Allison 3000/4000 guides. No issues found outside of Transmission. The Solenoids OHM correctly, however there is some indication that the E coil could in fact not function under load, or could have internal wiring short.

At this point we are dropping the pan to replace the "E" solenoid and inspect the internal harness for any issues. Herein lies the question -

We have so far:
a) drained the fluid from both trans pan valve body, and transfer case.
b) removed or loosened all bolts
c) removed filters
d) undone the wiring harness metal retaining clip on the top of the trans casting where it goes through to valve body
c) removed a pressure line connected to valve body

I can't seem to find a manual or anything that covers the removal of the pan, and have yet to find a description in search. Questions for you fine people:

Q1: Do you remove the front driveshaft, and if so do you need to remove the yoke or just the U-joint to make room to drop the pan?
Q2: Does the pan come out without removing the exhaust?
Q3: I can support the pan with blocks and a helper but don't have a large enough trans jack, any advice?
Q4: How does the wiring disconnect and at what stage of lowering the pan, what is the procedure to not damage any harness?

Thank you all for any help / info you can provide!

JP

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks