• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question for cranetruck

Banshee365

Hey Bjorn, I remembered you wrote an article for MV Magazine about a turbo conversion. Later this week I'm planning on removing all the old N/A exhaust and putting the turbo and new clean air kit on. Was there anything difficult about the install or anything you ran into? Looks like I might need to cut the hole in the fender bigger and I also saw something on the plans that showed cutting away an apron or something. Thanks for the help in advance. I still have to pull the old turbo and oil lines off the donner engine under a tarp but that hopefully shouldn't take long. Hoping to do this in an evening.

-Kelly

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kelly, since he's out criusing the countryside, I'll try to help. You will need to open up the hole in the fender a bit. I did mine with the hot wrench without problems. The inner skirt of the fender will need to be trimmed in most cases. Other than that, its a pretty straigh forward swap. There is a large pipe plug in the block where the turbo oil drain goes. That thing is a pain to get out. When I did my first one I had to use heat. It's got a square head and you just can't get a pipe wrench on it. After the fact I realized it was the same 13/16 square as the budd thimbles, so if you have a factory lug wrench or a 13/16 budd socket (not the combo socket) you should be better off than I was. Also, the last thing I would install is the oil feed line. Once everything else is done, I would pour some oil in the turbo then install the line. Let me know if you hit any snags, I've done the conversion. Also, if there is a guard unit near by, it always helps to look a a turbo truck before you do the swap. I can help with pics too.

Banshee365

Thanks alot for the help Ken, hope to meet up with you soon. I'll be parked right next to a turbo dump truck so I cant just look at that for the bracket locations and stuff. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Kelly

Deuceswild

Kelly,

If you are interested, I have the PDF file that Bjorn sent me which contains pretty much everything you need to know when doing the conversion, its a great tool, and it certainly helped me out. Its the one which he did for MV Magazine some time ago and it was very helpful.
Let me know if I can help you out.

Jeff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks