• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question for those in GA with a Deuce

TechMav

First off, I've always loved old hardware. The wife is as odd as I am, and has given the OK to look into getting a Deuce. I'm a mechanic (ASE certified), so I can handle most of the maintenance myself. I'm just outside the Atlanta area, to the east.
My questions are:
Since a Deuce technically qualifies as a 'commercial' truck, has anyone had a problem with parking it in the driveway? I do live in an area with an HOA (Yeah, yeah, I know, sucks for me), which the only rule other than what the county has is fences must be wooden. I've been through the regulations and bylaws, and nothing about large trucks to be found. However, state regulations for 'commercial' trucks are "Must park in the garage or behind the house" unless it's a daily driver. I don't want to buy one, only to find I have to house it at a storage lot.

As for insurance, would I be better off getting a commercial truck policy (I'm with Geico currently) or a specialty policy with a seperate company? I've seen several companies mentioned, but haven't had a chance to contact them yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sephirothq

It also depends on what you want to do with your truck, if you will be doing commercial for hire work then the above post doesn't apply. If you are going to have it for yourself, maybe even tagged antique, you should be able to have it.
I can't speak for other states though.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I live near Athens, 30666.

The Deuce is not a commercial truck unless you are using it for commerce. It is less than 26K lbs, doesn't have air brakes, etc. Ask Ryan Gill, he is exceedingly well read on this topic.

I have parked mine in my neighborhood (albeit HOA free) and at my parent's with no issues.

I initially had State Farm for about $350 a year but now have a Mom & Pop local company where I am getting coverage for far less. You should not need a commercial policy for your purposes (nor would you be required to have a "weighted" tag.

TechMav

Thanks for all the quick input. This certainly makes things a little easier to decide (in favor of a deuce). As for fighting for what's right... I'm a Unix Admin by trade, and Development HATES me at work. I have no problems putting my foot down when I know I'm right. Has saved me MANY headaches when they try to push software out that is broken, without testing.

I contacted Geico and they said they wouldn't insure a deuce on my personal auto policy, but wouldn't explain why. I've been with them for 7 years, but I'd have no problem switching if I can find another company that will cover a deuce.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have insurance with J.C. Taylor on my deuces. They want it inside a garage, and would prefer it be driven less than 1000 miles a year, and you must have a daily driver vehicle for each driver in the family. My rates run about $75 a year for each machine. YMMV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks