• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on tow bars

mendo069

you can back up with the military type towbar... the trick is that you can only back up straight....do not attempt to to or angle your deuce being towed like a trailer... the towbar will bend..so as your pulling up to the place you want to park, make your turn and angle just the way you need it so you can back straight with no turns.. keep the tow bar as short as possible.. the longer it is extended, the easier to bend.. look up the towbar instructions on this web site.. look for "TM 9-4910-496-10" for the set up and towing specs.. mendo..

jasonjc

I tried backing my M36 into a tight spot with my M35 did not get in but the tow bar was fine. It was hard getting the 36 in under it's own power later.

jasonjc

I tried backing my M36 into a tight spot with my M35 did not get in but the tow bar was fine. It was hard getting the 36 in under it's own power later.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done it a dozen times or more. If I have to back up a towed deuce with it. I tie off the steering wheel of the towed vehicle. You can giude it backwards that way without cranking the steering to lock. Anything heavier tha an empty deuce I think I would recruit Soldier B to steer it backwards.

CGarbee

I'll admit that I have not tried to back a towed duece with a duece using one of my bars (managed to only have to go forward each time I done the towbar routine with them, but I have backed both 1/4 and 3/4 ton vehicles with both my M37 (3/4 ton) and M35a2C (2.5 ton) with no problems..

I will also admit that I have to recruit "Soldier B" to crank the steering wheel back to center for everything larger than a 1/4 ton that is pulled into my driveway since it is a tight turn off the highway and it is a twisty sucker all the way down through the woods... If I don't, I end up dragging the front end all the way down the hill and I have to go fill in the ruts (and then there is the inspection and such on the wheels where they flopped all the way over and stayed that way...).

FreightTrain

Banned
If the towed rig is dead you could build a MV version of what a buddy of mine has.Take a peice of iron(either solid if you are strong enough or thick wall tubing/wood) and install 2 lunet loops on both ends.once you get to where your going unhook the tow bar.drive around to the rear of the dead truck and back up to it.Hook the "Beam"(as he calls it). between the Pintle hitches and have someone steer the dead truck while you push in reverse.

AMGeneral

I definetly agree on keeping the towbar as short as possible,as I have destroyed 2 moving the GOER around the yard.Towed trucks can be backed just remember when the towed vehicle quits moving,STOP PUSHING!!!It tends to break the towbar off at the lunette ring or at best bend it severely.