• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about installing transfer switch and hooking up 003a....

Gamecock84

Hello Everyone. This board is so useful and I hope I can get a little help in understanding this topic.

My electrician is coming to the house next week and I feel he may not fully understand the best way to install my transfer switch and what exactly is needed to run my MEP-003a to my house. I am getting a mint 003a in late december with very low hours and plan on using it as backup power to my house. I may run into a couple problems...

First issue is this unit seems big enough to run my entire house. Originally, instead of getting a transfer switch I was thinking about one of those manual interlock switches to switch the whole panel over to gen power. The problem is my well pump and septic pump are wired to a separate panel under the meter on the other side of the house. Using this manual interlock then I assume would not work since I now have to somehow wire another panel 30yds from my main panel to also run it off the genset.

My second problem is if I do bring wire all the way from the far panel into my garage next to my main panel to wire up a transfer switch, I think i would need something like 20+ circuits. I think this will be incredibly expensive.

Can those who have done this before recommend how they could wire both panels so far from each other and if the cheaper manual interlock is doable or not?

I am tring to get this wired in the next two weeks BEFORE I actually bring the genset home, but I need to make sure it is all right so there are no issues when I get the generator here and plug in.

Anyone in SC want to help me tackle this job? :)

Thanks,

Ryan

Isaac-1

It is hard to answer this question without knowing a lot more about your setup. It sounds like you have multiple main panels wired directly to your meter, if that is the case a single manual transfer switch between the meter and the panels would probably be best. From the way you worded your question it is not clear if you have already bought a transfer switch, if so what type is it?

glassk

Taken from Home Depot web site,

Per the National Electrical Code (NEC), all transfer switches must have a three-position “LINE-OFF-GENERATOR” or “ON-OFF-ON” switch to keep power from accidentally backfeeding. The three-position switch ensures that the switch goes through the off position when traveling from the generator position to the line position, fully disconnecting the generator every time before the main utility switch is turned on.

As Isaac says depending on the location of the panel and meter the switch there would keep existing wiring to pump while giving the ability to switch sources

Keith_J

You should have a main panel right off the meter. This will have a very large circuit breaker in it, a two pole in the 100-400 amp range. Then there could be well, air conditioner and out building feeds off that panel in the 2 pole, 20 to 50 amp range.

In any case, you should identify each branch off the main panel. If you have room, that would be a good place for an interlock, if acceptable in your area. An interlock will not permit back feeding since only one circuit breaker can be on at any time. You must flip the main breaker in order to close the breaker coming from the generator.

lxawolf

From what your original post reads it sounds like you have two breaker boxes that are each independent of each other. The first thing to find out is if the secondary panel is wired as a sub panel into your main panel. To do this turn off the main breaker in your box, this is typically a 200amp breaker. If both go off then you could add the interlock to your service panel.

However if you turn the power from the main breaker off on one and it will not turn the power to both off you have a different setup. This could be your electric company allows your service to be whats called double lugged. That is the mains from the power company comes to your meter pan, through your electric meeter then two sets of wires. One going to your main service panel and the other going to the opposite side of the house to that secondary panel. They should be able to determine your setup and do what is appropriate and legal.

If you have double lug then your only option is to get a full manual transfer switch to supply power to both breaker boxes. Hope this helps.