• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about Starter and flex plate for M1009

ida34

Is the civy and military flex plate the same? Is the starter the same except for the actual motor being 24v instead of 12v? I have a new starter with a cracked nose and possible a bad bendix. Can I salvage this stuff from a bad 12v civy starter and put them in the 24v starter?

Anyway I need the following if anyone has it let me know a price.

Flexplate
Starter (even a bad one will do)
Driver's side window
both doors
tailgate
tailgate window crank
any front floorboard patch panels
rocker panels
inner fenders especially the passenger's side.
Glow plug controller.

Thanks
Chuck

M35guy

I think the body parts can be salvaged from a civvie truck, the motor parts, I dont know about.

mangus580

Flex Plate is the same, the nose cone on the starter should be as well. Not sure on the bendix, you can compare them, but I would suspect they are.

all the body parts, and glass, is the same as any 81-87 (92 for blazers and suburbans) civvy model. (Passenger inner fender might not have dimples/holes for the battery trays, but will work)

The Glow Plug controller can be purchased brand new from www.flmv.net, or refer to the Tech Article section for instructions to convert the controller to the civvy style, or to manual.

rizzo

I have a M1008 w/bad engine so I decided to put a SB 350 in it. The torque converter would not bolt up to the flex plate of the 350. I don't think the flex plate would bolt to the 350.
So does that mean the Olds and Chevy flexplate is different?

mangus580

No, what it means, is the Torque converter for the diesel is different than the gas. The diesel converter has 6 bolts vs the 3 of the gas. I think they are also at a different diameter.

Where does Olds come into play here?

mangus580

HELL NO!!!!

350=5.7

the 6.2 and the 5.7 olds diesel are NOTHING alike :)

BTW.... for that 1008, why not pickup a surplus engine to put in it? Might be easier in the end :)

rizzo

mangus580 said:
HELL NO!!!!

350=5.7

the 6.2 and the 5.7 olds diesel are NOTHING alike :)
duh

mangus580 said:
BTW.... for that 1008, why not pickup a surplus engine to put in it? Might be easier in the end :)
too late already have a gas in it. I think you are right though.

ida34

It is a very common misconception that the Chevy diesel is actually the olds diesel that olds used. It is wrong but common. I think it comes out of the fact that in the early eighties GM started combining engine types and put engines from different manufatures in different cars. IE chevy engine in an olds and such.

Mike,
It looks like it has already been converted to manual operation. There is one of the big starter type pushbutton in the radio cover plate. How do you run this setup? Do you just push the button in for a few seconds then try the start?

mangus580

yeah, Pretty much. Just make sure that you dont hold it too long, unless you know that you have self limiting glow plugs in the engine.

Armada

The 6.2's are Detroit Diesels made for GM. For 80's technology, it is a very good engine. After GM's debacle with the Olds "gas converted to diesel" engines, their reputation for diesels had already been tainted, so the 6.2's don't get the credit they deserve.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks