• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick Advice Needed-Power

BrokenSpoke13

Hello All, I recently purchased my first military truck. It is a 1970 Kaiser 5 ton w/ LDS-465-1A, Michelin 53" XZL, 6x6 and No bed or added weight. Problem- At operating temperature, If i do not have a serious amount of momentum built and the turbo at full boost or am not at redline in a seemingly low gear, it is almost impossible to climb a gradual grade on the highway. There is no issue if I have a long distance to get up to speed but that option is not always there. I'm talking pull over in the breakdown lane for almost every car to pass, or get pulled over for embarassing the speed limit slow...painfully slow! The truck just doesnt have the power I feel it needs to to function properly.
I am perfectly accepting of this issue if indeed this is a confirmed normal characteristic of this truck. My biggest concern is, if this particular truck is struggling this much already with no weight, how is it ever going to handle a loaded trailer....? It doesnt make sense, they are meant to haul. I have done all the basics- checked air filter, replaced water fuel separator and fuel filters, oil change, replaced engine coolant, running 70/30 used motor oil/diesel mix with additive, tire pressures set etc. pyrometer & intercooler are in the works.
I am looking for a simple yes or no as to wether or not this sounds abnormal. I understand tire size may play a big part in this. Thanks

scoutmanadam

when you change tire sizes, especially large jumps in size, you really cut down the power and speed on hills on a truck that is not know to excel there anyway. slap some smaller tires on that thing and you will love the power of a five ton

Goose2448

Welcome to SS! They are slow, but things are better when they are slow. Tires may be a problem. Trying running straight diesel for a few tanks, and see if that makes a difference. I am sure that someone with more Knowledge than myself will chime in.nopics

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking for a simple yes or no as to wether or not this sounds abnormal.
Yes, it sounds normal.

Once you get that pyro installed you may can play with the fuel a little but that's it. These trucks are just slow and underpowered by modern standards. In the time they were designed they were par for the day.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I had a multi-fuel tractor and it was gutless from the word go....even with the 200 HP (thereabouts) engine it is a slow beast of burden.

You can crank up the fuel but if you don't know how to drive a warmed up one you will melt it down under the right circumstances.

You can't gold plate a turd.

NSCoyote

drop down to 395's and get a pyrometer installed so you can safely tweak your fuel rate. beyond is there any mechanical drag issues like a sticking brake or something ?

BrokenSpoke13

drop down to 395's and get a pyrometer installed so you can safely tweak your fuel rate. beyond is there any mechanical drag issues like a sticking brake or something ?
Thanks everyone for the useful advice, and a warm welcome. I dont beleive there is any mechanical drag issues but I am not 100%. The parking brake is in working order...needs new shoes, and the truck rolls with relative ease in a parking lot or slight hill. I think it will just take some getting used to and possibly a smaller tire size as recommended. When I get a decent set of guages I will be looking into minor tuning involving an intercooler as mentioned before. I have had my hands full doing the necessities first.

Monkeyboyarmy

I wondered when someone would mention filters. I bought a multifuel dump last year that woudn't go over 40 flat and level till I changed the filters.

BrokenSpoke13

Yeah, all my filters have been changed. I think it is what it is and that's fine. It's probably one of those things that doesn't change wether it is empty or has 10,000 pounds in the back.