• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

quick fix for hard-shifting CUCVs

kapnklug

I've read alot about CUCV vacuum-related shifting problems in this forum, so here's a free fix that worked for me:
First, I unplugged the hose at the vac. regulator valve (on the side of the IP) and held my finger over it with the engine running to verify the pump was working. It was, so then I checked the vacuum at the output port of the regulator valve and felt nothing. Since I didn't have $100 for a new regulator, I remove the regulator and take it apart (see pic). Remove the single cover screw and the cover twists off counterclockwise. Inside, a plastic rod moves back and forth in a spiral track. Or in my case, it was stuck in the full out position. I lightly sanded the rod where it was binding in its groove, cleaned the whole thing out with solvent, then lubed it up with spray and reassembled it. Don't tighten the cover screw too much or the rod will bind. Then put the regulator back on the IP; the top port goes to the vacuum pump, the lower port goes to the metal line leading to the trans.
Now my truck shifts like a cadillac! Total cost: $0!

Attachments

ralbelt

Thanks, mine was shifting at about 30 and 50, new vac lines corrected that. This is a good cheap fix that I will keep in the memory bank just in case this problem reoccures.