• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

quick head stud questions

fleetmech

Hopefully dropping the heads back on my 1D/ TD in the next few days...
Is there a consensus on doing a re-torque with the new style gaskets?
Is this a "wet" or "dry" torque?

Thanks guys!

davidb56

Thanks guys!
there is just opinions. I prefer wet torque. getting the threads real clean is probably more important than the method of torque. 30 wt motor oil has been used probably the most, but some use white grease, graphite, etc. they all have different torque specs, so make sure the spec is for the type of lubricant.

MG2936

Thanks guys!
On my engine, to retorque after running the engine involved pulling some injector lines and removing the rocker arm shaft. too much work. I had an engine block heater on my engine so before putting the anti freeze back in I heated it up on my two burner colman stove. Once I had a few gallons in the engine I plugged in the block heater, then I finished heating up the rest of the antifreeze on the stove. It wasn't as hot as running the engine but it did the job. When I retorqued the head all the nuts moved. This was 14 years ago and these were the old style hd. gasgets. Never had anymore problems.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
On my engine, to retorque after running the engine involved pulling some injector lines and removing the rocker arm shaft. too much work. I had an engine block heater on my engine so before putting the anti freeze back in I heated it up on my two burner colman stove. Once I had a few gallons in the engine I plugged in the block heater, then I finished heating up the rest of the antifreeze on the stove. It wasn't as hot as running the engine but it did the job. When I retorqued the head all the nuts moved. This was 14 years ago and these were the old style hd. gasgets. Never had anymore problems.
Nice Idea!!
Aa one step heat and torque process

fleetmech

Thanks, all! I was mostly planning on doing it 'wet', and so I shall. I like the idea of the preheated coolant (especially since there is way to much in the way of those xxxx studs.)

The last head gasket I did was on a straight 8 Packard. I did a retourque on that and they moved a LOT, and that was with a big copper head gasket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks