• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick newbie question about LEDs, do they care about 12v VS 24v?

Loco_Hosa

Ok, really simple question. Would Leds designed for use on a 12 volt motorcycle care if they are run on 24 volts?

My truck had the original turn signals removed and big bad spot lights put in the place of the turn signals. I like the spot lights and have some motorcycle LED turn signals sitting around. I am considering painting the housings green and running them. Any thoughts? Will they explode?

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Explode? I doubt it, they may burn out instantly or certainly quicker than the 24V LEDs. It didn't look like the added headlights were wired into the main harness, just added in with thier own switch. You should be able to reconnect/rewire the turn signals back in and still have the additional headlights operational.

BigHank

If they are only designed to run on 12v then they will shine brightly and briefly. Typically an LED is only designed to run on about 1.4 volts give or take. Thats why it depends on the circuitry that accomanies them as to what voltage they can run on. My guess without seeing them is they won't work.

Loco_Hosa

Thanks all, the signals are made in a cluster, and I assume made with the resisters specifically for a 12v motorcycle system. For some reason I thought that LEDs didn't care much between 6v or 110v. I was mistaken, thanks all!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks