• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick Rear Main Seal Question

BobMassive

Hey all. So the TM -34 references a pipe sealant used for mating the lower seal half to the bearing cap. The FAQ does not. Is this a necessary step? If yes then what exactly is the correct sealant? Plumbers sealant or silicone sealant? I don't want to use the wrong stuff and end up re-doing this. Also while I'm at it how critical is it that the seal be installed at the 2 o'clock 8 o'clock position?
Thanks

Ken_86gt

If you follow the 2 & 8 o'clock you minimize the chances for oil leaking by the seal. I used a very small dab of black RTV on the end of each seal where they will touch. I also used a very small amount of an anerobic sealant between the block and bearing cap. When all done I let it cure for several hours before attempting to start the engine.

BobMassive

Thank you. So you did not put any sealant in the groove the lower seal part sits in? Or am I just misreading the tm? In other words, the lower seal is just pressed in.

pigfoot63

I have installed the seals two ways, flush mounted with block and cap and as you mentioned at 2 & 8 I never had any trouble with either method. However I can see why the 2 & 8 method gives you a better seal. I use Permatex ultra black silicone when I install mine, just a dab on te ends.

lavarok

I am pretty sure any rtv on the seal itself is a no-no. However, that is not to say it might not work. I've done a few and followed the TM to the letter, I also wrote the wiki article you reference.