• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator caps

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if there was a MWO or other bullitin on the pressure rating of radiator caps? The reason I ask is, I have a 7 pound cap now. On warm days, 95 or more, I would get a little coolant out the vent tube. I happened to mention this to a guy who lives a few doors down from me who is a recently retired Army mechanic. Well, on 4th of july he came over, partook of some of the festivities and whips out a new radiator cap, Sweet! Well, it's cold here now...not as bad as most other places, but I put a winter cover on. The temp runs at around 180-190 with it on and there is coolant being pushed out the overflow, doesn't overheat, just spits a little out the tube. I tested the cap, it's a 7 pound, and it pops off well below the 7 pound mark. The cap he gave me is a 15 pound cap. I know this will raise the boil point, but is this OK to put on? I can't find anything about installing a higher pressure cap and he said this is what they were putting on the multi fuel. Anyone heard of this?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The boiling point for 50/50 glycol water is about 225°F with the 7psi cap, shoudn't be a problem for temps below that. Never saw anything in the PS magazines and I have checked out plenty of those. They call out 7 psi every time.

devilman96

I wound not run a 15lb on a system that should be 6-8... Next will be a blown line or a bad water pump. If you know your 7psi is blowing off at under 7lbs change it. If you want to go a pound or 2 higher use the 10psi Napa number in the parts cross... If you want to go exact (or within a pound or so) change the last digit on the Napa number down one numeric and that should give you the PN for a 8psi cap... or order one surplus. I think they are a whopping 12-15$!!!

I've seen this debated a few times in here and seen the 10 psi cap beign bashed for being 2-3 psi higher... your splitting hairs!!!

Also consider adding a over flow tank and save loads of misery... Napa PN 730-4514

A related / unrelated note... My radiator overflow tube was so plugged up with crap a 120 psi air line wouldn't clear it... If those whom have not poked around under the hood for a while ya might want to give yours a cleaning the next time your checking things over.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's kind of what I was thinking. I'll keep it at 7-8 PSI. What is this 15 PSI cap for?
The P/N on it is,
19207-12354960, MFR-27796
Another one, hand written - 01-259-4432
Another , stamped - 19207-12354874-0B7W8

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks