• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

radiator hoses

Rich Johnson

Are the Radiator hoses normal 1 ton truck hoses or are they specail part numbers.

I just put a new super recore radiator in my truck. The latest thing I have had to replace since I bought this truck. Its litterally sucking me dry. Tonight its in the shop because the wheel bearings are either totally shot or worked loose. I could not for the life of me get the lug nuts loose. Bent the lug wrench and an impact wrench wouldnt budge em. I dont think the wheels have come off this truck since the first gulf war.
With only 50k miles I thought this would be a good truck but Ive averaged 350 bucks a month in repair costs. Im looking for a light at the end of the tunnel.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look the hoses up in the -20tm. those part numbers are most likely GM part numbers. Easisly crossrefrenced using google. I think they are standard hoses.(nothing special)

$350/mo will buy a new car or a 5 year old, 20000 mile full sized 4x4 pickup.

You have to want an MV to enjoy it.​

Westech

CPL
you need to get a better impact gun.. Mine will brake off 14MM studs with ease. Just the deuce ones I have trouble with. Soak them in PB blaster (or whatever you like) Over night! That should help a little. Just spray the heck out of the lung, nuts, and hub.

The radiator hoses are your run of the mil 6.2 in a pick up hoses. People, People, people,.. you have to remember this is a CUCV, not a combat truck. They were made with 99.9% civy parts.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
:ditto:

When it comes to these trucks hard parts interchange from the civvy counterparts. Engine gets a little more tricky since you need a "J-code" engine. The only real differences involve the electrical systems. And of course the extra lights/connectors.

Rich Johnson

Ok, well, I sort of wondered about the hoses. I just replaced the radiator after having it spot repaired twice and then all of a sudden most of the tubes started leaking from both sides.
I was not able to find a total replacement. Doesnt exist, so I had mine recored. Since no other vehicle on the books used this radiator I kinda thought the hoses might not exist.
I will look through the -20 and see if I can find those part numbers and cross them through google like you said.

I am used to MVs. I drove my m38 every day for 5 years. Then an M37 shelter truck for several more. Then my m38a1 for most of year this year when it was all I had (f-150 gave up the ghost). Thats why I picked up the 1008. Well it sat too long and things just deteriorated I guess. But at the time I bougt it, I had to scrape the 2k together from UI and selling stuff. Then I finally got back to work a month and a half later and thats when all the problems started. When I started commuting with it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the TM 9-2320-289-20p Technical Manual, Figure 25

Upper Radiator Hose

GM - 14036744
NAPA - NBH7995
Autozone - E71144
Oreilly's - 21284

Lower Radiator Hose

GM - 14067763
NAPA - NBH7996
Autozone - D71145
Oreilly's - 21285

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'd have to assume that the difference on the radiator was additional flues for extra cooling. But the end caps/mounting should be the same as the civvy stuff. The water pump and the thermostat neck should be the same as the civy stuff as well. Any parts store should have the upper and lower hose in stock. GM used the same hoses on a number of trucks. (truck models and engines)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Make sure the lower hose still has the spring in it too BTW, I got burnt once on a cheap hose that didn't have it. Without that spring in there, the pump can pull the hose closed.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a brand new radiator last year at my local NAPA. Diesel 1 ton, 1984.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks