• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator is out!!

Wyattearp

Well after the rain stopped i went back to work this evening, got in about an hour ago, I have the radiator out, what a bear especially one man and manual tools(no air compressor).
The radiator looks in rough shape, it has one row of fins falling out starting at the top and needs several areas that need soddering(spelling?).

The good thing about my busted block engine is i have tons of spare good parts after i strip her down [thumbzup] .

Would it be easier to remove engine and tranny as a unit or leave tranny and then would i be able to inspect transmission and look for unseen damage, the tranny was shifting fine(remember novice big gear jammer here) when the engine went south.

I really think this is going to go well and be a great experience and LOADS OF FUN in the process.

Hope everyone is having a wing ding of a holiday weekend [thumbzup]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trans is supported by the bellhousing. You have little choice but to pull them as a unit.

Wyattearp

I thought thats what i was seeing but wasn't sure, thanks a bunch Recovery... You know you got it bad when you get upset when it gets dark out and can't work anymore on the deuce..
Recovery how hard it is to pull that as a unit? about the only way i have of getting it out of their is with a large farm tractor and front end bucket, will that work or am i crazy?

Thanks a bunch.... :roll:

red devils dude

it should be easy to pull as a unit since you already pulled the radiator it would be easy as pie,
but the engine is big and heavy so I dont think a tractor bucket is a great idea but if your careful you could use it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RDD is probably right. If the hydraulics are pretty forgiving you shouldn't have a problem. I know Bobcat hydraulics are just too fast to do the job safely. On the other hand, Bjorn's crane can thread needles. You also could have pulled the entire powerpack with the radiator still installed and coolant in the system. I watched the local guard unit's maint guys swap out a powerpack before lunch one day. Very impressive.

Wyattearp

I knew about the powerpack replacement but well i figured it would give me more room to work and not mess up the radiator beyond repair, plus it gave me a sense of satisfaction today doing that by myself.
Im no green horn when it comes to mechanic work but something this big is a slow go, one false or miscalculated move and well its really easy to lose a finger under there :freaked: .

My cousin seems to think his Case/international will pick it up we shall see, i may have to go another route, but will figure that out when the time comes, you know an idea in progress, if the deuce was on a concrete floor it would be easier with engine hoist but thats not the case..

Thanks guys for all the input, it is greatly being absorbed :hop:

Wyattearp

Maccus i had a brain storm about the tranny by going through one of the doors, so that would be no problem there, but where the deuce is parked is not on pavement or concrete but dirt ground, would I still be able to move the engine hoist after lifting the engine out or would backing the truck up slowly opposite the engine hoist, moving the truck isn't a problem with the 4x4 farm tractor we have, plus the area its parked is level. Keep the info coming, im in the process now of making copies from the cd i recieved from Dixiemiller

mangus580

It might be easier to drop the tranny before lifting the enigne out. Its a pretty simple job, and its that much less 'bulk' you have to deal with when pulling the enigine out.

Wyattearp

That was my thinking also, the less weight i have to deal with moving all at once the better, even if that means i have to seperate tranny and engine.
Thanks Mangus [thumbzup]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce trannys are amongst the easiest to remove. You can also go the route of the 4x4 across the cab and a come-a-long to lower the tranny to the ground.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wyattearp, I just pulled the tags off my deuce (the registration expired in June). I have a lot of maintenance to do after all the highway miles, BUT if you can't solve your problem otherwise, I should be able to make it back to your place with the cranetruck. Lifting engines is one of my specialities.:) The LDT-465 w/container can be handled about 10-12 feet out with precision.
I also have a take-out radiator, which looks like it is in good shape, haven't tested it. I'll have to ask $100 for it though.
Let us know how it goes.

Wyattearp

Recovery you read my mind on the tranny, thats what i had planned to do to get the tranny out.
Bjorn I will let you know if i need the assistance of that magnificent beast of yours, the offer is greatly appreciated, and as for the take out radiator you have if you have a way of pressure testing it that would be great as it looks like im going to need another radiator......

Bjorn you have a pm coming your way..

poppop

You can make a runway for the hoist with heavy plywood to give you enough room to back it out and lower to the ground. Then use the tractor bucket to move it around. We have pulled engines out of farm trucks and equipment with the front bucket but it works best with two people. The tractor operator also needs to be familure with the controls and have a light touch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks