• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator?

msoumas

I need to replace my radiator, and I'm not sure what will work. My assumption would be that most any mid-80's GM fullsize truck radiator should fit in my M1009. Is this a correct assumption, or is there a more specific size for my radiator?

CCATLETT1984

yeah thats right, it MUST be a three or four core though. A two core will not provide enough cooling capacity.

If you can find a aluminum two core radiator that would work as good if not better than the four core copper/brass.

JAsher45

A new radiator will run you close to $500. if you know of any good radiator shops that would be your best bet to fix up and repair your old one for alot less $$$

msoumas

In the interim, with a moderate coolant leak, will I be ok for short drives? I drive 7 miles each way to work every day. Should I keep some water on hand to be safe?

msoumas

Re: RE: Radiator?

JAsher45 said:
A new radiator will run you close to $500. if you know of any good radiator shops that would be your best bet to fix up and repair your old one for alot less $$$
I was thinking junkyard, which is why I needed to know if anything other than the direct replacement will work. Not a lot of 6.2's sitting in the yards around here.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Radiator?

Get a diesel radiator if you want the oil cooler and tranny cooler lines to line be useful. $350-$500 new at most parts houses.

The gassers usually have the tranny cooler lines on the passenger side and no oil cooler fittings.

msoumas

Re: RE: Re: RE: Radiator?

CUCVFAN said:
Get a diesel radiator if you want the oil cooler and tranny cooler lines to line be useful. $350-$500 new at most parts houses.

The gassers usually have the tranny cooler lines on the passenger side and no oil cooler fittings.
I've got a decent aftermarket transmission cooler on there already, any way around the oil cooler?

jj

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Radiator?

My local NAPA guy quoted me $450 or so for a four row brass and copper for my M-1009. It had both oil coolers. I fixed the old one and used an independent oil cooler from Earl's for the engine oil. About 10"X8"X2", with #10 inlet and outlet, and #10 hose between the block and cooler. Much bigger ID than the rubber and aluminun stuff that was on it. But my original hoses were pretty much beyond saving. Works pretty good. The steel braided hose must be well anchored or movement from vibration will wear through just about anything.

msoumas

Success! I got a good look at the radiator today and found out I had not one, but TWO leaks in the same area on the radiator. Neither one was too bad though, and it looks like a bit of soldering may have sealed them up. It's going to be a few days before I know if it's actually going to hold, but it looks promising.