• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radio headset storage/hanging

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am actually using aviation headsets, but I doubt it maters if the headsets are military or not when dealing with storage. I am wondering what you guys do to hang your headsets when not in use? Looking for suggestions for the Deuce or M1009. I have been looking at some hard hooks, but am a little scarred by having something pointy mounted in case I ever have an accident.

CGarbee

I use a very short bungee cord slipped through a one of my roof support tabs on my M37 (has hartop)... It is one with the plastic coated hooks and is only four inches or so long... The bungee in the duece hangs from the passenger front winshield arm where I can still snag it from the driver's seat...

mangus580

I dont use headsets in my deuce, but the 3 year old wears muff's... I hang his muff's from the windshield lock on the passenger side. Keep it pointed up at about a 30-45 degree angle, and they ride there great when he isnt with me.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the idea of not having another pointy thing in the cab area in case of an accident. I'd use a bungee or a window lock, as listed above, as well. If you really need something more dedicated than those objects, you might wanna try mounting a plastic or small metal hook in the front dead center of the roof of the cab; it's out of the way enough that it probably won't affect your noggin in an accident...

CGarbee

Unless I'm traveling with a group (say the East Coast Convoy) I don't wear muffs or a headset either. I only wear the headset so that I can hear the radio... For most of my driving, I use a set of ear plugs and leave the headset dangling from the bungee.

Bungees, zipties, and duct tape are always in the cab for securing things on the fly... :)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hang mine over the steering column, between the wheel and turn signal and the passengers hangs on the door handle.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I usually just put my drivers on the steering wheel too, but I figure it might be nice to have a place anyways for when I am in and out of the vehicle. I tried the mini bungee for the passenger, and it works well. It really makes a difference on keeping the wires tangle free. I will have to pick up some of the small stretchy rope ones and shorten it to keep thing up and out of the way. I need to mount all my boxes behind the seat next.

ONTOS66

For those of you interested in hanging your headsets on something official and green, check ebay for this item:

For some reason he has it listed as a Mic Hook - don't ask me why. It is for a headset. As usual his price is high, but I haven't seen many of these flying about. I have one that I'm going to install in my S250 shelter as that project progresses.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just a funny idea about hanging headsets while avoiding hard pointy objects..

A hard rubber dog chew-bone could be sawed in half at an angle, and mounted with a screw to a panel.. no pointies. There are also certain kinds of marine-type handholds that are made of nylon. One example is the "Det-Mar Safety Grab Handle", easily searched for in the internet and only $9, It could be cut in half and attached as a hanger.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks