• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radio Setup

motormayhem

I want to add a am/fm radio to my truck. How do most people install theirs (speakers and radio)? I was going to use the stock location, but it is the wrong size. Do most people just cut it up to fit? Pics and info would be great.

Thanks,
Miles

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled an original GM AM/FM radio and speakers from a junker at the salvage yard, installed them in the stock locations and works pretty good. I use a rubber antenna mounted on the inside of the cab.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front speakers are the same for the Blazer and pick-ups. Top of the dash in the center (oval) and top of the dash, far right and far left (round). The left and right use a special bracket so if you get them from a junker make sure the bracket is with them. There is no factory provision for door or kick panel speakers.
The Blazer (civy) also used speakers in the rear corners by the tailgate, again, special brackets. The pick-ups (civy) used speakers in the rear corner of the cab, once again, special brackets.
No need to drill anything, just remove the plastic filler plate from the dash bezel. There is no connector on the wiring harness for a radio.
When salvaging from a junker, take everything! Radio, speakers, knobs, brackets, nuts, screws, wires, plugs/connectors.
Good luck!!!

randyscycle

Here is how I did my M715 so there was no mods if I ever go back completely stock. Just couldn't bring myself to cut the dash! I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing in a CUCV:

I got it from Tractor Supply, and you can plug in a headset too if you like. This one has the speaker built in, but it is a mono radio. I use it mainly just when wheeling and for weather from my XM. I may do a similar setup in the deuce and incorporate an intercom into it as well.

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

Do a search, we've discussed this many times. Some of the guys got VERY intricate with their installation jobs and did some great work and had some great pics and ideas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks