• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rattle Just After Startup

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wanted to start some of the deuces today while doing snow removal. Started first one ok. Quick to start. I left the cab to let it idle while continuing with my chores and heard what sounded like an empty tin can rattling around in the front end possibly being hit by the fan. Quickly shut it down and opened the hood. Didn't see anything obvious. Did not start it up again with the hood running. Crappy day. I've got the flu and a sprained neck and shoulders anyway, so it will wait for another day. Any ideas on what it could be? Truck is in great shape. I'm looking through the trouble shooting manual and maintenance manual now. Nothing comes to mind though.

All help appreciated.

Eco

Barrman

Mine has the folding step on the bottom of the bumper. It likes to not rattle until I walk away from the truck. Then it goes into a "my engine is killing itself" noise pattern. I now calmly walk back and put my hand on it to stop the noise or at least identify where it is coming from for sure. The first few times I heard it I was running back and slinging the hood open. Stepping on the bumper seemed to make it happy and the noise would stop.

I am not trying to make fun of your noise. Of course, you should check all the moving parts for something wrong once you feel better. If nothing is obvious, look at some of the silly stuff like worn hood hinges, side access panel latches not hooked, bumper step, etc...

Do you have a hose connecting your air compressor to the air filter? Water/moisture could have gotten in there if you don't and the noise could have been ice beating up your compressor. Just a wild guess.

bugei

mine is the hood itself rattling in its hinges and against the rear supports. freaked me out so much when i first heard it, i was certain that i had "blown chunks". seems to settle down once i am traveling down the road.

JohnnyReb

Hasn't happened on my deuces, but generally a "rattling noise" in the front of an engine will sometimes be the water pump. The bearings wear out and cause the fan, etc. to flop.

Doesn't sound like you are in any condition to work on it right now.... but when you are more able.... grab the fan blade (with the engine off..;-)) and work it forward and backwards see if you have any play. To be sure, you sometimes have to loosen the fan belt as it will often take up some of the slack.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have all the usual noises with loose hood hinges, etc. I don't have the folding step, just the stationary one like the tailgate. I was worried it was something like the water pump or something.

Thanks guys.

Alex400

I would have been worried that it would that it was a dry lifter. hit the hinges up with some white lithium grease, helped with my rattling on my truck.

Last edited:

hole

I have to agree with Barrman & Bugei . Last month I went to take my truck for a spin , started her up and started to walk around front and heard what I thought a rod was trying to jump out of the block. Run back and see I've still got 80-90 oil pressure, look under truck, no oil anywhere , jump on bumper and lift hood ,noise stops. Mmmm... Close hood noise starts. Now I notice the hinges are worn to the point that the hood rarttles at idle. It scared the bageebas out of me at first hearing that noise though !

rmgill

My truck had a nice rattle at idle. Found it at a rest stop. There was a bolt and nut that had come loose. The bolt was impinging on another bolt and the nut was caught there down on the tips of both bolts and was more or less spinning due to the vibrations of idle. Under the fender, it made quite a rattle at idle.

Some of it's a matter of getting to know the truck by sound.

ida34

You can get a mechanics stethoscope to pin point the noise. It is like a doctor's model but it has a long rod. You basically probe the stuff that might rattle like the water pump, alternator, and such. When you come to the part making the noise you will know it as the noise gets much louder. You will still hear the noise with the other parts but it will be dull. When you hit the right part it is very sharp and crisp. You can also do the same by using a metal rod. You just put this up to your ear. I like the stethoscope better because it plugs your ears and drowns out the other engine noise.