• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rattle or clatter noise m1009

w5ood

I have a rattle or clatter noise its higher pitched than the engine, it sounds in the video like a vibration. But its much louder at times sounds like a bolt clanging around in the engine. I inspected the flex plate thinking that was a common issue and to start there but I see no cracks. It starts and runs fine but the noise is driving me crazy. I know now that i either need a rear main seal and front seal on the trans looks like both most likely. Could that be a bearing sound from the oil leaking? Ive never heard of that but I am running out of guesses. I know that when I lay under the truck with it running and put a long screw driver handle to my ear and tough the oil pan I dont hear it in the screw driver. I hear it when I touch the bell houseing on the trans and strange enough I hear it clearest when I touch the front cone of the starter. I dont hear it when I touch the starter motor. Also it started just in park before and when in drive it went away, now its present in drive as well. Thats why I thought it might be the flexplate. Any help is appreciated as usual! Thanks for any advice in advance, Im just not sure where to look next. Im about to just say screw it and drive it until it breaks.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a rattle or clatter noise its higher pitched than the engine, it sounds in the video like a vibration. But its much louder at times sounds like a bolt clanging around in the engine. I inspected the flex plate thinking that was a common issue and to start there but I see no cracks. It starts and runs fine but the noise is driving me crazy. I know now that i either need a rear main seal and front seal on the trans looks like both most likely. Could that be a bearing sound from the oil leaking? Ive never heard of that but I am running out of guesses. I know that when I lay under the truck with it running and put a long screw driver handle to my ear and tough the oil pan I dont hear it in the screw driver. I hear it when I touch the bell houseing on the trans and strange enough I hear it clearest when I touch the front cone of the starter. I dont hear it when I touch the starter motor. Also it started just in park before and when in drive it went away, now its present in drive as well. Thats why I thought it might be the flexplate. Any help is appreciated as usual! Thanks for any advice in advance, Im just not sure where to look next. Im about to just say screw it and drive it until it breaks.
It sounds like pr buzz...old trans slang for pressure relief valve...it's in the front pump...be right at the front of the bell housing. Wonder if you unhook the modulator valve from vacuum if it stops. If fluid comes out it's bad!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

w5ood

It sounds like pr buzz...old trans slang for pressure relief valve...it's in the front pump...be right at the front of the bell housing. Wonder if you unhook the modulator valve from vacuum if it stops. If fluid comes out it's bad!

Is that the thing on the side of the trans that runs a vacuum hose up to the engine? Or is it inside the trans? I know nothing about transmissions.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that the thing on the side of the trans that runs a vacuum hose up to the engine? Or is it inside the trans? I know nothing about transmissions.
The modulator is hooked to vacuum on the side. Pump pressure gotta pull the pan.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know what other symptoms might appear with a bad pump? My transmission seems to work fine.
That doesn't mean it's a bad pump it's just putting out a high pressure and the relief valve is kicking in. To be sure you'd have to hook a trans gauge to line pressure and see what it is .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks