• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear axle bearing retainer torque

IMA944T

How do you tightrn the rear axle nuts when replacing axle seal on a duece with out the spanner socket correctly or close to the proper torque.

jimm1009

wheel bearing locking nut torque.

You really can't guess at the torque. I suppose you could use a pipe wrench to snug it up but I certainly would not drive it down the road like that.

The socket is 3 inch, 8 point and it is very important to do the correct torque sequence.
Inner nut while spinning the drum or wheel is 50 ft lbs. and then back of 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Install lock washer, the seal, and the outer nut which is 150 foot lbs.
The inner torque is really important to set up the correct load on the bearings when they are first repacked with grease. The second torque is very very important because this keeps the inner nut from coming loose.
I incorrectly torqued my outer nut and within 30 miles the nuts started backing off but fortunatly the gear oil dripped out giving me a sign that something was wrong.
I would buy the socket (about $22.00) and just rent the torque wrench when you need it if the cost is too much for your current budget.
Any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.
There are many others here with good information for you.
Jim

IMA944T

Have to replace one axle seal (now) and replace brake wheel cyl. kit so I guess I'll do it next week end. Is the socket readly availabe?? Have the wrench already

Jake0147

Yes, the socket is readily available, if you ask in the right places. Napa has them (Or can get them in a day or two depending on the store), Tool dealers (tool trucks) have them, any parts store catering to medium/heavy trucks has them. It's getting "older", but it's still a common size.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks