• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear axle help please!!

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I had two inner rear axle leaks and one smoking brake I decided to disassemble both rear axles, both sides to determine my shopping list.

I've got the drums off...I found several bad outer seals, some ruined bearings and toasted bearing caps...Whoopie!!! :( ...The brake shoes look good but I still need to remove, clean and inspect the wheel cylinders. I'm not sure how to remove a few items and could use some advice. I have consulted the military CD and searched past threads.

1) How to remove the inner bearing and inner seal from the shaft? The military manuals speak of a special tool?
2) How to remove the bearing cups/races from the drums. I see and feel 3 spots where you can access the cups but didn't want to just beat something out.
3) Any re-installation tricks/tips.

BTW, when I searched the past postings, I saw the idea of using a piece of PVC to re-install the inner seal, but that was all I found.

Your help is mucho appreciated as usual. Upon the installation of my DSL E.O.Month, I promise to post more pics than anyone would care to see.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The inner bearing will just slide off the spindle unless it went bad and got welded on. I use 2 hooks and work it off. As far as the seal, it's pressed on the spindle itself. I tap mine off with a medium sized hammmer. The races are just tapped out using a long drift and hammer. Seal reinstallation, I bet lots of folks had some type of pipe they bang the seal on with. I situate the seal on the spindle, add the inner bearing and then set the drum on. Put the outer bearing in place and draw it all up together with the axle nut. I do this before I repack the bearings. Draws it up real nice and even. I may even find an extra hub some day and turn it down to make it lighter and keep it just for the seal installation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks