• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear axle leak, time for service

chief1983

Anyone have any good tips for servicing the 10 bolt/8.5" rear? Looks to be a pain since all the maintenance for it is in the -34 and there's a lot of work just to get a shaft out. I just developed a leak in the right rear somehow, not sure how but I suspect the vibration I felt on the highway and the recent off roading excursions have already led to a bent axle shaft, which probably ruined a seal. I was curious if anyone knows how one could get a Warn full float kit for the axle? I'll likely just see how much damage has been done and replace with stock parts for now.

Since I'll probably be at least replacing the outer rear seal, I'll probably want to get the bearings too, even if the shaft isn't actually bent. Any good sources for these axle rebuild parts? I'd be interested in hearing any suggestions for work I should do on it while I have it most of the way apart.

reloader64

The parts (bearings, seals, axles, etc.) are all available as civilian parts. Consult parts/rebuild manuals or the internet for disassembly, repair, and reassembly tips. These axles are actually very easy to work on.

Scott

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heck, I think it was Colemans surplus that had NOS units for $295 for the whole thing including brakes.[thumbzup]

rlwm211

The outer bearing may be bad, but I would bet the axle is scored and that is the source of your vibration. This is one of those which came first, the chicken or the egg. The leaking seal probably allowed the bearing to run dry at the worst possible time.

The ten bolt requires you to pull the rear diff cover, pull the spider gears by removing the small screw that holds the shaft in place and then by removing the clip that holds the axle in. Not a bad job, even on a jack stand. If you are correct that the vibration is from inside the rear, you probably would be far better off changing the rear axle completely.

In my past experience I bought a civvy Chevy with the same rear end that had a long term seal leak. I had to replace the rear eventually because all of the gears and bearings had been run dry for an extended period of time due to the leak dumping all of the gear oil out.

Best of luck and I hope you sort this out.

RL

chief1983

Any suggestions for store bought replacement for the differential GO? The wiki mentions 90/75, but oddly all I've seen in stores is 75/90. Is that a typo in the wiki?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks