• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Axle M1009

Mrtom

Good evening from Germany !

Its my second post here and directly with a big problem. Yesterday i crashed my rear axel. during driving it was very loud vom the back of the truck. i have never heard this bevor. today i lift up the car and i try to turn around the wheels on both sides. it was very heavy and at a special point the wheels stop turning around and i already heard this noise from the axle.

I opend the axel and this was the result ......

what could be the reason for that?

some information about my truck. i bought this in 2004. it was directly from the us army. when i bought this truck it has runned 77.000 mls. now it have 130.000 mls.

Can you tell me what i can do........

greatings from germany

tom

ODdave

And thats why there called a GOV-BOMB

A little abuse and thats what happens to them. If i where you, I would find an "open" carrier and a lock-rite to replace it with. Much stronger and not horribly expensive. All the parts should be easily available on the internet as well.

Never mind, didnt see the ring gear teath the first time...... Add a ring & pinion to the mix as well.

Last edited:

sierrajcharlie

:ditto:

When I got my '09 it had a diaper on the punkin and 28000 on the odometer. Opened it up and ring teeth were laying in the bottom but everything was togethor and seemed correct. Filled it up with fluid and 8 monthis later the big bang happened. I got a rear end and driveshaft from a civy Blazer and dropped them in. Didn't play "3rd time is the charm" with it. I hadn't pulled anything with it and hadn't abused it at all. But WHO KNOWS what was done to it before I got it!

Last edited:

Mrtom

Good morning. Its 8:30 here. Much easier to handle would be an used axle from another truck. that shoud not be a great problem. more difficult is it, to buy all parts seperatly. thats not possible here. and when it would be too expensiv. but i would order all the things in the u s.

but who is wolf?

have a nice day

tom

HAWKMAN

I'll check to see if I can fit all the guts into a large flatrate and give you a good price on it. PM me if interested. Thanks HAWKMAN:D

AJMBLAZER

Make sure the gear ratio matches the front. Will be 3.08 if stock. Civilian Blazers/Jimmys got that ratio commonly in the 70's and 80's but there were plenty of other options. Mine has 3.73 for instance. Seen as high as 2.73 and as low as 4.10 in stock half ton axles.

Mrtom

hey guys,

so, i have a solution. i will change the complete axle. i found one in the near from stuttgart. its from another M1009 and runs low miles. in two weeks we will start to change the axle .

i also want to change some other things when the crashed axle is away. can you tell me if this items fits for the rear axle?

lift kits

thanks for your help and have a nice weekend ;-)

Tom

AJMBLAZER

GM considers it a half ton for marketing purposes. The military rated it by it's actual weight rating, not GM's commercial designation.

Aftermarket lift makers like that use GM's lingo since the vast majority of their customers have civilian Blazers.

Your M1009 Blazer is about 90% the same as a similar year civilian Blazer. The suspension is an off the shelf factory setup, not anything special despite what some may say.

donalloy1

Feel sorry for those that have scattered rear ends! Mine seems to work very well though. Do I need to baby this thing or what? Hate to dump when all seems to be working fine. Use as daily driver and has been very dependable! If its not broken. Don't fix it mentality probably applies here. What are your thoughts.:driver:

AJMBLAZER

They're not the strongest rear axles and the Gov-Lock has built in issues. I have one that I believe is 202,000 miles old and counting... but it does have it's quirks.

I know people who beat their trucks like redheaded stepchilds and had no issues at all.
I know others who took proper care of their trucks, didn't abuse them and only used them as anyone else would a truck...and had the Gov-Lock turn into a Grenade Lock.

I personally don't trust mine. I have had one that sorta just "went open" in the past and acted like an open differential. I'm told that probably meant it was a ticking time bomb. Others have had theirs lock up solid and act like a spool. Some just had no warning at all and BANG pieces through the cover.

It's a flawed setup. Use it, take care of it, and don't worry about it too much...but be aware that it's a flawed setup.

Mrtom

hello guys,

last saturday i have been in stuttgart and bought a used rear axle from an 1009.
very happy about that i drove back at home and yesterday i opened the axle to clean and found two teeth on the magnet. have a look ....

but the rest is ok, so i want to change the dammaged parts and want to order the things in the u s .

i found this parts at rockauto for 150 $ ..... look here

More Information for USA STANDARD GEAR ZGGM85308

and the other dealer is justdifferentials with a price from 269 $. look here ..

Chevy GM 8.5 8.6 10 Bolt 3.08 Ring & Pinion OEM AAM Gear Set [GM8.5-308-OE] - $269.00 : JTs Parts & Accessories, Justdifferentials.com

can you tell me a good shop where i can buy these things?

???????????

thanks guys

tom

Last edited: