• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear axle moving side to side and making a popping noise

seano11

when I was backing up into my driveway tonight I was turning hard and I heard a popping sound so I started watching the rear tires and the rear rear left was moving about a half a inch and making a popping sound I checked all the axle housing bolts that hold it to the frame they are all tight. and didn't see any paint rubbing so could it be the bearings or dog bone ?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know, before you keep posting all these "what do I do posts" after doing the "I'm bored what's everyone else doing today" posts, you really need to read the manuals instead of the I'm bored ones....:deadhorse:

seano11

dam I bet those aren't cheap either eh but really all jokes aside I kinda can't ask the tm what would make a popping noise when backing up and make the tire or axle move half a inch can I? like really isn't this what this site is for? so that we can help each other out

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dam I bet those aren't cheap either eh but really all jokes aside I kinda can't ask the tm what would make a popping noise when backing up and make the tire or axle move half a inch can I? like really isn't this what this site is for? so that we can help each other out
So we're talking the rear trunion bearing? I bet it drops it ALOT. (oh, it's also in the manual)

Csm Davis

The axle will move a lot but the popping noise may or may not be bad. It might be a bad control arm or may just be the spring hitting inside the mount. These trucks make lots of little noises, let someone else back it in slow while you watch and listen.

Monkeyboyarmy

Without hearing or seeing exactly what is moving, I would assume that it is the axle shifting from side to side from the clearance in the spring pockets....which is normal. The axle needs to have some clearance so that when the it articulates it won't bind up.I don't know if it is explained in the tm or not because I haven't read it all yet. Hope this helps

seano11

ya what It looked like to me was the axle or tire was trying to slide but was gripping to much and then kicking the tire or axle back into place like I said it was only moving half a inch to a inch tops

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are multiple threads out there covering the two issues related to this:

1. The axles are designed to move left and right somewhat. Go look at the pocket that the end of the leaf springs sit in. The leaf spring doesn't sit it in the pocket "snug"-there is room for the leaf spring to move and to pivot.

2. The trunnion bearings could be loose or going bad.

The advice I always give stands here: Before posting, members should spend several weeks, months, whatever it takes, reading up on threads. The super common issues (brakes, axle leaks, driveability issues, common questions, etc.) will be covered multiple times and it will save you from posting new threads that re-take the same ground that's been taken a dozen times in the last year.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/68859-middle-axle-out-alignment.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/78389-grinding-noise.html

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe it's just a loose nut behind the steering wheel??? 2cents
If not, put a little grease under the leafs in the spring pocket. Will allow the leaf to move around easier without popping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks