• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear brake adjustment

Rich Johnson

On a 1008, do the rear brakes auto adjust when backing up? I just got this truck amonth ago and it seems that there is way too much travel in the pedal.
I bled them out. Then I turned the star spinners in the wheels just a bit untill the wheel became tough to turn by hand, then backed it off a tad. Not really any improvement. I still have the "Pumping up" effect on my pedal, and long travel when not stepped on for a few minutes.

Westech

CPL
Nope. They only adjust when you use the parking brake. And even that really does not work well. You need to adjust them manually. Did you remove the drums and look at how the rear shoes were doing? I bet not. I think it is time for a full brake inspection and make sure things are working as they should and the braking material is above min thickens.

armytruck63

Hey Richard,
The rear brakes do not adjust when backing up. They are adjusted every time you put on the parking brake. Does your parking brake pedal go all the way to the floor? If so, it needs to be adjusted.

The procedure is in the manual, but basically you jack up the back of the truck, push the parking brake pedal down four clicks, and tighten the adjustment nut on the cable under the truck until you get drag when turning the wheels. Release the parking brake and make sure you have no drag.

Hope this helps,
Matt

Rich Johnson

Yeah I guess. The guy I got the truck from told me he "Just did the brakes last year" and he hasnt driven it at all since then.
Ok well that answers my question. I guess I need to follow the manual and tighten the star up till the wheel doesnt move, then "Back off 30 clicks" the funny thing to me is, as you are holding the retainer tab off the star with tool, the star no longer clicks while backing off.

Westech

CPL
HOLD ON there guy, that is how you adjust the PARKING brake action NOT the service brakes!! you need to adjust the "star" adjuster before you set the parking brake action.
you DO NOT back it off 30 clicks! man that you would be where you started at. just adjust it till you hear light dragging,pump the brake peddle a coule times (to seat the shoes) and recheck it. You do not back it off 30 clicks.

Last edited:

Bummy

Hey guys, I own a 86 m1008 and I have the rear driver side brake drum hanging up on the truck. I know this cause I noticed when taking off it took coaxing with a little throttle to get it moving, also I am only getting twelve mpgs.�� I know it's the drivers rear cause it was hot. Can I use the park brake adjustment trick to keep my drum from hanging up?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks