• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear m35 axle mod

maxpshop

Has anyone done this or think it could be done.
1. Remove both rear axles and all hardware.
2. Install shackles and springs from a M105 trailer.
3. Install one of the original Rockwell axles back under the truck.
4. Install a custom extended driveshaft.
Do you think the springs from the trailer will hold up the truck?

Sorry I had to us a pic of someones Truck from the gallery pics.

Attachments

You can do it.. theres plenty of veriables and such that goes into play with this set up.. do a search for "bobbed deuces" many diffrent style trucks been done, and diffrent setups.

We do alot of custom bob deuces. there is a bunch of possibilites and stuff you can do to it

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 105 springs work wonderfully. I think Jatonka uses them alot. The spring hangars are outbaord and make the rear of the truck squat a bit. Been done many many times over. Search Bobbed deuces as Darrell said and you will find enough reading and pictures to consume a weekend.

Jakob

What interests me here is it's not really a "bobbed" Deuce, it's more of an axle delete. I think it'd look alright lifted and on 53" tires. I use the bed of mine alot and I've only had a a short time. Maybe I'll get another one soon and bob that one.

same rules and principle apply just your truck will be 3' longer :D... you can still read up and get info offa the bobbed deuces. just position your axle properly under the truck for weight distribution (sp). and everything will work fine for the single axle set up

Jake0147

Definately read up on the bobbed deuces. What you're describing is 99 percent the same work, only less cutting.

One thought, not having bobbed one myself, but having looked curiously at many of them- As you read through, you'll see lots of pics with no bed installed, and the back of the truck is really high. Installing the bed "squishes" the truck back to somewhere near level. If you use the same springs as the bobbed ones you see here (Deuce fronts or M105 springs) then you may find that the back is lower than you'd like. You'll also have much more cargo room in your bed. What are you going to put there? Since there's not a lot of this exact swap to compare to, you might consider and prepare for a bit of trial and error in he rear spring department.

SasquatchSanta

I fear you may run out of spring capacity with the single axle and standard length bed.

My bobbed deuce is a jatonka truck --- has M105 springs and "sometimes" it looks like it's drooping a bit in the back. It's nothing serious but I question what it would look like with the standard length bed. I'd add a couple of spring leaves while the springs were out just to be safe.

maxpshop

SasquatchSanta, That's what I was thinking. I just dont know if the springs are stiff enough to hold the full size truck up.

Thanks for all the info on this topic. I will view all the data and make up my mind on what to do.

Thanks again guys,
dc

beaubeau

One thing that I think needs to be researched is to investigate the Gearing on Two speed RR.What are the ratios in Low Speed and Hi speed. It would be great if Low speed could be mached to the front axel, to be used Off Road , 4x6 and when Hiway driving with front end Unlocked, we could Cruise at a higher speed. Sounds like a plan!!???

Bigmillman

In responce to the above post, I would make darn sure that you intagrate some form of interlock so you don't oops and try to go two different ratios at the same time. I know that they make a over/under box that you can put in between the T-case and the tranny so you affect all axles the same to eliminate that sort of problem. Divorced T-cases are so fun to play with! [thumbzup]

55Cameo

The extra weight of 3' of bed and frame over a bobbed Deuce won't make a noticeable difference in ride height empty. The 3' frame sections and bed sections are only about 150lbs or so. The difference is going to be in the load going into the bed. The origional rear suspension is made to haul 10k. The front springs are only made to carry the front of the truck and a little of the weight from the load. In my guesstimation you could probably get away with hauling about 1/3 of the origional load, or about 3500lbs, with front springs in the rear with 1 axle. (just my guess, not the bible)

beaubeau

Mod Deuce!

:driver: I was just thinking what would happen if we pooled all our money and put together all of our thoughts obout how we could Modify a Deuce, and had the room and the Tools to do it, We could probably modify a Deuce to FLY!! :cookoo: I should not say this,because politician will put Monies asside to do it!!?? aua Phil

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M200 very well might be better. To do a 5 ton one should look at the rear suspension from the back of an M146 semi trailer. I scrapped a rear suspension and now wished that I had kept it. If anyone in the SE is bobing a 5 ton, I might know where one is.