• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Step Question - M35A2

glcaines

I have a 1969 Kaiser M35A2. One of the rear steps on the tailgate is mangled and I need a replacement. I ordered one and when it arrived it was too short, approximately 5 inches tall, while my truck has approximately 6 inch steps on it. The mounting hole patterns appear to be identical. I stopped by a logging outfit that has five Deuces and all five had 6 inch steps like mine. Do some M35A2s have the shorter step?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones on the tailgate on my truck were mangled too. I bought 2 new ones from Saturn? or maybe off of e-bay. They both bave 5 inch openings. The old messed up ones were 5 inches when they started life, but after repeated smashing and fixing, they did have a larger opening. When I removed them, I straightened them sa best as possible and they were almost exactly the same as the new ones. I gavethem to hole 'cause his truck had no steps on it. You almost can't tell that they were twisted and crunched.

Attachments

glcaines

I ordered the new (used) one from Eastern Surplus. It was in perfect condition and they got it to me very fast. I believe he might have the fold-up one for your front bumper. My front one was mangled, but I was able to straighten it, but it required the use of an acetylene torch. I can't tell it was ever damaged. My mangled rear one was beyond salvage however.

It is interesting that apparently several different size openings were used on the rear step. My remaining good one is in perfect shape and is definitely six inches, as were all five sets on the other deuces I looked at. I either need to buy another five inch one or find another six inch one. I prefer the six inch because it has more room for the foot and hangs lower enough to make it easier to use. Eastern Surplus is looking for another six inch one for me. This is the first time I've done business with them and they appear to be very responsive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks