• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear tailgate window - from manual to power

gasser

Ok, and I don't know why, but I really would like to put in a rear tailgate power regulator and motor. It's not that I will be removing the manual out, GL or DRMO already has done that for me :x - so I get to start off fresh.

Has anyone done such a conversion that can share any quarks or tricks? I have most of the stuff, the remaining I am getting from LMC or something.

Thanks,

-graham

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can find a complete gate from a bone yard, its most helpful. Get a chiltons manual with the schematic to get and understanding of whats needed. IIRC its only 3 wires. I started to do one on a 1009 I had but got irritated with the truck and gave it away.

BKinzey

Might be easier just to swap out tail gates.

Having said that I will be doing the conversion. The power gate I have is dented & rusty so I'll use the M1009 gate shell. I've done some poking around and I didn't run across any real problems. Looks fairly straightforward to take the pieces out of one and plop into the other.

I'm going to use the original wiring for a solenoid and run a heavier wire to power the motor. Looks like the original wire is #12 or #10. I'm planning on running #4 for a trailer and I'll tap into it.

gasser

Yeah, swapping tailgates would be the easiest indeed, but I got most of the parts (just lacking a few items) already. BKinzey, if you get done before me, would you mind sharing some pics? I will do the same. Thanks!

-graham

Midnight Rider

How did this turn out?

I'm looking at doing the same thing. I was thinking I would just need the electric parts out of a Blazer rear door that had a power window.

I'm guessing that the glass is the same?

I didn't find any posts with anyone saying that they had completed this, at least not posts with details.

AllenEM

It's a lot easier if you get a power window tailgate because of the cutout switch in one one the latches that keep the window from moving if the tailgate is down. I ran three wires to the back one hot all the time for the key, the other two come from a switch that is center off and on up or down that you have to hold in that position. with a hot wire feeding the center. push the switch up the window goes up, push the switch down it goes down let go it stops. I got mine wired but the motor is burn up went I got it . but this how I wired my last one I did 10 years ago. I had to get help earlier to see a wiring diagram to remember how I did it. worked great until I sold it.

3dubs

I love junk yards! But it depends how nice your tailgate is and if you want to paint it. The parts are cheap so the whole tailgate at a junkyard should not be much. The people will not want a stripped tailgate so they will want to sell the whole thing. When you have it do not just swap them out. If your tailgate looks good it is worth taking it apart and swaping the guts out. It saves painting. Plus if the tailgate at the junkyard is dented you can start complaining about how you will have to do body work on it and they will lower the price. You can ask them how much a shop will charge to pull the dents out that normally gets the price even lower. But then decide which is less work painting or swapping the parts out. When dealing with window tracks take your time and look before you take apart. I always take pictures after the panel comes off just to make sure.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks