• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear tcase PTO vs dual output trans PTO

wehring

I have looked around and I have yet to find an answer.

I have a standard PTO and winch on a deuce. I want to add a rear hydro winch.

I have a rear tcase PTO in hand but I am wondering if there is a benefit to just adding the rear output to my trans PTO instead. It is "better" to have the hydro output on the trans or t-case. Does one offer more options (driving in low gear while pulling, etc) than the other? Is there an RPM difference at each pump with the same engine rpm?

Any "been there done that" comments are appreciated.

Justin

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transmission PTO is always on with the clutch out, one direction, one speed,(other than more engine rpms.) and not rated for full horsepower of the engine, I think it's 30hp, but the actual figures are around. Plenty for a hydro winch.

Transfer case PTO has the 5 foward, one reverse gear, of the main transmission, and is rated for the full horsepower of the motor.

Can drive with either one engaged.

I have both, a transmission PTO for a dump, and a transfer PTO for a crane. Both work good. Nice to have the options of gears for the crane, can put it in 5th gear(transfer in neutral) have the engine near idle, and crane runs pretty quick.

Dennis

tm america

i would think a transfer case pto would be overkill for a hydro winch most hydro pumps are made for certain speeds if you run them to fast you'll get cavitation and airate the fluid whichkever one you decide to use just match your pump speed to pto speed and get a pump that has the volume and pressure you need

RangerDave

I have the transmission pto to run my front winch and a transfer case pto to run my hydraulic pump for my log loader... It is pretty nice to be able to just pic a gear and have the pump run slow or fast depending on the nature of the project... just get a pump rated for your project and have pressure relief valves in the system some where.

Attachments