• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear thumping turned into a chain rattling noise

erasedhammer

So previously I had a thumping noise coming from the back left of my m998 only when I was accelerating. I check the geared hub and changed its oil and checked the gears and nothing wrong.
Couple weeks later I pull it out of the garage after a few days of no driving, and I take it out and now when I let of the throttle I hear a really bad chain rattling noise that worsens when I slow down more.
It sounds god awful and sounds like something is going to rip out of the vehicle. But still drives smooth and no abnormal anything in the driving itself.

Sound is coming from the rear again. Can't pinpoint it but it sounds like it's south of the transfer case at least. When I'm coming to a stop sign this noise wakes up the neighborhood.

I've emailed a few army humvee mechanics and they said they'd need to see the vehicle. Any good humvee mechanics around Seattle? Or can anyone say for sure what might be going wrong?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drain the oil from the transfer case and rear differential and see which one has chunks of metal coming out of the drain hole. Then you will know.

Behr

Really loose body mount? I had a thumping and rattling from the front and after tightening the body mounts everything is good.

erasedhammer

Update:

Turns out the chain rattling noise was completely different than my old problem. I was driving back to my house when the rattling turned into a really loose rattling and suddenly there was no output of the transfer case. From what I can imagine is that the high range gear broken in some way so that it no longer made contact. The change in sound wasn't all that bad and didn't cause any other part any damage.
The Low range gear still worked after I pulled over, so I put on my warning lights and drove the last mile home in low range at 18 mph.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats the same thing you have to do if you loose a halfshaft...but you don't want to be in low, but High lock.
if it were me, I would be check halfshafts...anything is possible.

erasedhammer

Thats the same thing you have to do if you loose a halfshaft...but you don't want to be in low, but High lock.
if it were me, I would be check halfshafts...anything is possible.

Thats what I thought except the first thing I tried to do was shift into high lock range and drive home but I got the same loss of power to the wheels in high lock as in just high. Low was my last resort and the only thing that worked.

snowtrac nome

Yes disconnect the drive shafts , disconnect t/c shifter ,and oil cooler lines. I've don it before the top bolts will come out a 1/4 turn at a time but it can be done.