• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rebuilding a turbo for my 250..

madsam

I thought I would start a thread on rebuilding a turbo for mt 250. I have a st50 from a GL auction and then bought a rebuild kit. I was reading several things on adding a turbo to the 855, with non oil cooling pistons, and it seems to be some what safe as long as I don't turn up the fuel. I know, some of you say, then why bother putting a turbo on. Well, at 10,000 feet there is about 20% less oxygen per piston stroke and the thing is basically a dog. I mean it can't pull itself up a hill in 3rd at 20 mph. When the thing was in Baton Rouge it had what seems like twice the power. So I have maybe 125 HP. That is not enough to pull the 36,000 lbs up the mountain. I also see lots of black smoke, so I know it is running rich. So a turbo should help with that. I don't expect a speed deamon, just a truck that could get out of its own way.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Brian, I have found that cleaning parts like that (qtip) will make your hand cramp up. I now use a paint brush and brake cleaner with much better results. Just my .02 cents.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey madsam, what are you doing for the intake and crossover?

madsam

gimpyrobb - I was dipping it to soften the goo. Then I used rags and que-tips.

WillWagner - I have not decided yet. I don't want to cut the hood. There is about 2 inches on top, so I have been thinking about a 2' by 7' oval pipe. Or maybe 3, 2 inch pipes merging into 1. But I have not decided yet. I don't think an inter-cooler would fit.

bambambam22

I am pretty sure this is a dumb question but I have always been a blower fan. Is there some reason I can not put a blower on my M813 or in place of the trubo my Deuce Multi. Why Turbo's and not blowers. FYI I know Gas motors very well but I am new to diesel motors and I am finding out they have very little in common.

jwaller

I am pretty sure this is a dumb question but I have always been a blower fan. Is there some reason I can not put a blower on my M813 or in place of the trubo my Deuce Multi. Why Turbo's and not blowers. FYI I know Gas motors very well but I am new to diesel motors and I am finding out they have very little in common.
I'm sure you can but a blower will take hp to drive while a turbo is free. so you will tax the motor more with a blower and it will take a lot more work to get it in there. I'm not sure you can drive a big enough blower with v belts to make it work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks