• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rebuilding rear axles

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I finally got my deuce...I'll post some pics later.

when I brought her home I found both rear driver's side inner seals are leaking and the rear axle drivers side brakes began to smoke and the pedal grabbed at the top. I've decided to tear down both axles, both sides to go completely through them to determine my shopping list.

Check list:
bearings and races.
inner seals.
outer seals.
brake shoes
emergency brake shoes
wheel cylinders.
small cork keyway gaskets

I don't know what to look for regarding wheel cylinders. Can anyone offer some advice for how to properly inspect and determine the condition of wheel cylinders? Also, I don't know if NAPA carries any of the seals, bearings, races, brake shoes etc. Any info would be appreciated. I'll post pics as I go through the job.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
P.S.
To replace or rebuild wheel cylinders...that is another question...Again, will NAPA have any of this stuff?

jasonjc

If you look in the part # cross ref here under the Resources you will find tha napa typ # so you can get most if not the parts you need there.
If you look at the top of this site there is a link to saturn surplus they have all the stuff you need OR look in Military Vehicles magazine they have alot of ads for all this stuff too plus some of there writers are mebers here.hope this helps
to replace or not too replace that is the ?? it depends on the cylinder If its pitted real bad or broke replace if its good you can save a few$$ by rebuilding them the kit run around $3-$5 a pices

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm gonna go to Anelope valley truck when the list is done so I have a source. I was hoping to save a few bucks going to NAPA.
I don't see the inner, outer or lock washer part numbers in the reference section...am I missing something?

rdixiemiller

Unless you are really unlucky, you will probably find the wheel brgs. are OK. Boyce carries full axle kits, and brake kits. I don't know how competetive the pricing is, but the convenience of getting everything at once...........

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes, remember, if you get items at multiple locations, that is multiple shipping charges, and with the cost of shipping these days, that can be significant.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel cylinders. I prefer to rebuild them when they are in OK shape. Either way have kits or cylinders on hand. I've been doing the wrecker on wheel at a time for a while. Open the wheel cylinders up and clean and stone hone the bores. If you see any pitting, toss them. OE wheel cylinders are usually red primer color. Overseas copies are bare steel. I took a new copy wheel cylinder out of the box today and pulled the dust boots off and found surface rust. I rebuilt it like new and installed it. I think the kits from NAPA are #45 and run around $11. I buy my kits by the dozen from Ted Hils in AL. Been buying them for $4 a kit. There is no interchange for the inner and outer seals. As far as the corks, I clean the keyway really good before the bearing goes in and once its set, sueeze some premium silicone in the keyway then put the outer seal on and button everything together. I need to replace most of the lockrings on the wrecker. I'll be shopping for a dozen of them soon.

rdixiemiller

Amen on shipping costs. You are better off to try to find the vendor who can provide everything, and pay one shipping charge. The reason I mentioned Boyce is that I have seen them listing the kits and discounting them over the price of the individual parts.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Oh yeah, boyce has been running kits on ebay that include everything but the cork inserts for $71. 6 inner seals, 6 outer seals and 6 lockplates. So all you lack is the cork, which you cvan either get somewhere else cheap or use silicone (BFR & I used silicone on his and it hasn't leaked yet and had probably 300+ miles since).

houdel

BTW, NAPA is my LAST choice for parts. They have a lot of parts, but they are NOT the cheapest source by any means for anything you want to buy, they are useually 50% or higher than a MV source! I only go to NAPA if I cannot find a part anyplace else - Shipping be damned! For example - I needed a new U6TL battery. NAPA wanted $160+, I got it from a local Interstate dealer for $105, others have gotten batteries from Interstate for less than that. Get my drift?

ajg6989

I get all my stuff from saturn inner, outter seals, hub gasket, brake cylinder rebuild kits, the copper washers on the line going into the cylinder the only thing seperate is the speed bleeders wonderful invention, the 3"axle nut socket 3/4" drive, a 3/4" drive set from harbor freighton sale $39.99,jack stands harbor freight and jack harbor freight, and 1/2" drive set from harbor freight, oh and brake spring pliers from napa or who ever they work great finally got a pair after years of using screwdrivers and long needle nose pliers to fight springs off the brake shoes

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks