• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rebuilt tranny install be carefull who you buy from

steve

A couple weeks back had 2nd gear kept coming out of gear. after taking off top cover I saw synchros were shot. So I refaced the flywheel, got a new pilot bearing, new pressure plale and clutch disc. I was skeptical of buying a supposedly rebuilt depot transmission but I bought one from Boyce Equipement for $895. Here is the snag. Put everything in buttoned it all up and went to put oil in and they left off a bottom bolt of the bell housing. It leaked like you know what. Luck would have it that it was easy to put in. But leaving it out I felt this is only the beginning.

Problem two came when I went to drive it. The shifter is spring loaded on my old one. So now the new one is limp . It has spring side to side but you have to lift up shifter up to engage 1st or reverse. I can not believe that this shifter is so limp and they brag about how good they are, I was thinking of calling them but i feel what is the use. Like every one else out there they are like one step up from a junkyard. anyone run into this before ?

You ask how does it shift. Like crap. I am 55 have driven more m35's then i care to remember and there rebuilds stinks. As I am writing this I decided to call and they say they will ship me another top cover. How nice all that work and have to take the top off because of their mistake.
I guess I am just venting.

67 kaiser m109a2 maryland

steve

Well I did call them and I talked to the rebuild guy. They are going to send another top cover. I told him put a lever on it and try it before please.
67 kaiser m109a2
53 freuhauf m105a2 maRYLAND

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I've delt with bret for 11 years now. And never had any problems.I even bought a truck from him once. I guess the rebuild guy had a bad day. But i understand. If i spent $900 i want it right the first time. Bret is a pretty good guy, I bet he would make it right with you if you are still unhappy.

Armada

I bought a rebuild from White Owl in NC. No problems with it.
The one I replaced had a 5th gear whine. I know what you mean though. It's never a simple part either! It's not like replacing a faulty gas cap! Sh!t happens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks