• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

recentering hmmwv rims?

weldergonecrazy

I have heard several people mention recentering rims (hmmwv's in particular), but I havn't read any details on how this is done. When working for the Mouse (Disney World) I was one of several welders who build rims for the parkinglot trams, so I am confident that I am capable in doing this modification, but would like some details on how others have done this. I have just recently purchased a "brand new" M1008 from a GL auction in Pensacola last month, and am contemplating a tire swap. any information would be appreciated

nf6x

Feral Engineer
When I got my M101Asomething 3/4-ton trailer, it had HMMWV rims on it, but its axle was meant for CUCV rims and the tires would scrub on the frame sometimes. I had some custom wheel spacers made to space the tires out from the frame. I don't remember the thickness or resulting offset I used... I just picked a thickness that moved the tire out enough to be roughly centered between the wheel bearings.

I had my spacers made by WheelAdapter.com. They can be custom made any way you want them.

I need to write this stuff up on my web page someday, but for now, here are a few pictures in case you want to consider this option.

Attachments

CCATLETT1984

IIRC the stock backspacing on the m1008 rims is 4" anything between 3.5 and 5 inches would work. I have mine on the truck not recentered and just run a 2" spacer, so my backspacing is 5" and I have no rubbing at all. I would want to keep as much backspacing as i could just to keep the tires in the wheel opening, so you dont have to trim the fenders.

you can buy spacers, they make them commercially for putting wider tires on dually trucks.

another route is by changing your front hubs to dually hubs (they move the mounting surface out further, so you dont need spacers) and the plus is that dually hubs should be easy to find. could prolly find someone that will trade for your SRW hubs.