• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovered my M927 truck; batteries dead

ichudov

I picked up my M927 truck with my lowboy trailer and my driver. See attached picture. The truck was jump started prior to my arrival and loading was very easy, I just drove it on my beavertail trailer. Thanks to Indianapolis TruckCenter.

The good news is that the truck looked new and ran well.

The bad news is that the batteries are dead. After I shut the truck off, I tried restarting it, with zero success. I am sure that the batteries are bad. I have a couple of questions:

1) Can I get away with just two batteries instead of four, at least for the summer
2) What would be a good replacement battery?

thanks

Attachments

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, do a quick search and there will doubtless be many threads on reducing to two batteries, as well as success stories with replacement choices. Beautiful truck, you did well it appears.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking!!!
Here in the south most of us just go back with two batteries.
Up were you are in the winter you may need four.
I use group 27's and group 31's. I get them from Sam's.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck, just missing the headboard. Up there in the cold white north, you should go with 4 group 31's.

ichudov

Guys, thanks. I was able to figure it out, the battery compartment had four batteries, but only two batteries were connected.One of them was weak. I swapped it with another, unused one and everything is great now, it starts easily. I drove the truck off my lowboy already. In the excitement, I drove backwards with transfer case in low gear, but I was driving slow, inch by inch, and nothing seems to have happened.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The problem with reverse in low is when untrained drivers would gun it in reverse and the transfer case could not handle the torque. Slow careful reversing is fine.

ichudov

The problem with reverse in low is when untrained drivers would gun it in reverse and the transfer case could not handle the torque. Slow careful reversing is fine.
OK, this is great to know, I am tremendously relieved. This truck is a great testament to American industry. I started drinking already after returning home.

I will need to find some way to incorporate a key into the starting system, as my truck is parked in open parking lot near my warehouse.

Vintage iron

Now that you have it home. Always remember to try not to drive in reverse in low, always turn the engine switch off first and the batteries last. A quick review of the operators Manual will help clear things up. Good luck with your new truck :)

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The truck drive you to drink already? I have keyed ignitions in both my 5 tons. And self cancelling blinkers because I always forget to cancel it and the last thing I want to be is the idiot driving down the road with his blinker on that everyone is making fun of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks