• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovered Westy's M818 today

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, took a day off work and went down to Ft Stewart to pick up Westy's M818. Drove down in my railroad maintenance truck, because I have rigged it up to be towed with a medium towbar.

Got there around 0845, and waited on John for a few minutes. While I was waiting, I hooked up my tow lights. I didn't have enough cable, so I moved my fuel drum to the middle of the bed and strapped them to that. ;-)

FIRST THING I DID WAS CHECK THE BRAKES. I have learned my lesson, as Westy's wife knew I was the one who drove through the GL warehouse. I'm too well known for that incedent. :oops: Had to add a little fluid, and they worked well. I'm going to bleed them proper now that I have it at the house.

Checked the tanks with water indicating paste on a stick, no water in the bottoms. One was 1/4 and the other was about 1/2. Changed the fuel filter, and checked the oil. It was still clear, as this was apparently a recent motor install.

The radiator had been patched up more than Joan Rivers, but held coolant. There was quite a bit of oil sludge floating on top in the overflow tank. Hmmm... I drained the tank and flushed the oil out (best I could) and refilled.

The solargizers were both cut, so the batteries had all dipped to less than 8 volts each. I had brought the two good ones out of my deuce, so after swapping, it started right up. Let it build up air, checked everything out. All the lights were good, two tires needed a little air. Aired them up, then pulled it out and hooked up my pickup truck.

John had to take off so I pulled it out of the gated area in neutral and parked to pull the drive shaft. I layed down on the ground and AHAHDHFSRSHFAA!!#!@$!#$!%!@#!!!!! Stupid sand burs EVERYWHERE!!! all over me! OUCH OUCH OUCH!!!

So I jump up, and pull off my shirt, and start removing them with pliers. About this time a bus pulls up, with about 20-30 young female soldiers on it. A couple lean out the window and yell, "Do you need a hand?" and I couldn't help myself, I looked down and blurted out "No, at least two!" Some laughed, others blushed, and some looked confused. Then they pulled away. :twisted:

Got a sleeping mat that I had thown in the truck for just such an event (but forgot about it when I saw the nice soft 'grass'. Got it off and got on the road.

Truck rattled really bad, not the engine, but the body work. Smoothed out a little when the wheels got round again.

Got to the SC state line when I heard two pops and a whipping sound. Pulled off at the SC welcome center and opened the hood. Dang, the fan belts both popped. :evil: Thanks to Doghead I got all the part numbers, and Westy had another that I tried. But no one had any anywhere close. The closest place was in Columbia, but that was where I was headed!

So I found some soft top rubber cord, and made a belt. First, I doubled them up. But it popped off quickly. The second, I did a single, cut the ends at an angle, and taped the crap out of it with gurilla tape. Well, it worked, it is still on the truck! I also took off the alt belts so there would be less drag.

Made it back safe, took about 7 hrs with the 4hr belt stop.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opps! pics

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More:

Attachments

rideni

crazier then me driving around with hi-rail gear for fun. All the hi rail trucks that I have driven have really really bad turning radiuses like worse then a deuces

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crispy little critter that Westy got there! Adam, thanks for posting about the sand briars. That is just one more fine example of why I don't drop drive shafts, I pull axle shafts. Impact, 16 bolts and maybe a dirty knee and I'm going down the road. With the M1008 it was even better. Once I got home I unhooked the towbar, locked in the hubs, put it in 4H and drove it up in the driveway. Can't do that with the driveshaft held up with bailing wire.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do remember discovering sand burs, when I moved to Fl! :oops:

That M818 looks like it lived in NY!:wink:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, It isn't a 3/4 ton or bigger truck, I had to pull the drive shaft. And I take it all the way off and put it in the bed. I lost one once doing the bailing wire thing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure Westy decided it wasn't worth the whirlwind effort of trying to get the lugnuts off yet another 5 ton.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He never wanted the truck, he just could not resist the thrill of Sniping someone on an auction....:p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks