• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery Anchors?!?

HASSON1911

Hey all, I know saw it one this site once, a big anchor for trucks stuck with little or no trees to winch on. I was wondering if someone had a picture or dimensions so I could fab one up for my truck. Any help is greatly apprecitated thanks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
We had one at the 11SSGAR, in hard dirt, it does not dig in, but plows, needs a HOLE dug to set it, so to use it in hard dirt you would need a shovel and either a pick or a bar with a edge

HASSON1911

Oh okay thats good info. to know, And I also thank god I live in Northern MN. I can't recall a time I have needed a shovel or pick to break the earth up It's practical ly town built on a swamp up here, a lot of pete is up here needless to say.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Also forgot to mention, it is heavy, VERY HEAVY, that being said, if I had the money I would put 2 up on the 819, just for more gear, just like in military use, scrounge what you can, may never need it but better to have just in case.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just find some deuce axles and drive them into the ground. You can use 2 or 3 tied together and it works pretty good in the softer stuff.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ground Anchors - non "boat" type.

What ever happened to the 'Steak and Anchor' type that were once BII for wreckers and detailed in the Field Manual 20-22?
Does anyone know when they were dropped and what replaced them?

Yup - I know, not much flaming good in a swamp...

Attachments

Last edited:

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone, who cannot be mentioned, used this photograph and made one himself. I'm standing next to the results.
It was not that photo, it was these two photo's. Standard pallet of 42" x 48" told me all i needed to know. Mine on the right.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stalwart

It was not that photo, it was these two photo's. Standard pallet of 42" x 48" told me all i needed to know. Mine on the right.
You misunderstood me, yours is a copy of the one I have here, and the one here is a copy of the rusty one in the back of the pickup.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What ever happened to the 'Steak and Anchor' type that were once BII for wreckers and detailed in the Field Manual 20-22?
Does anyone know when they were dropped and what replaced them?

Yup - I know, not much flaming good in a swamp...
Thats pretty much what I do with the deuce axles.

A whole deuce axle! I can't even lift one end!

Oh, you meant a axle shaft! Gotcha!:roll:
Yes, axle, not axle housing, DERRRR.

:gimp2::gimp::gimp2:

tashaak

Does anyone know what the angle of the bottom plate and the pull point is on the home made ground anchor. I made one guessing what the angle might be but it pulls out of the ground every time I try it. I have it at a 45 degree angle now but I am guessing it may be more perpendicular to the spade part.

ke5eua

You would be surprised of how much a small tree will provide a good anchor. The trees I used to pull myself out were only about 4 inches around. I thought for sure they wouldn't hold.

Here is my thread on my encounter with soft mud and getting myself out.

This goes to the video of me finally getting out.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ust-happened&p=1559236&viewfull=1#post1559236

This one show why you should use the right sized rope. I'm pretty sure my wife might have wet herself on this one.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ust-happened&p=1558831&viewfull=1#post1558831

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know what the angle of the bottom plate and the pull point is on the home made ground anchor. I made one guessing what the angle might be but it pulls out of the ground every time I try it. I have it at a 45 degree angle now but I am guessing it may be more perpendicular to the spade part.

If you have any lakes nearby and maybe a Chandler/Boating supply place - go measure one of the marine type.... They don't have the benefit of digging the point in to get it started - but I'd guess that 45 deg is a maximum, shallower may be preferential.

61sleepercab

Saw a WWII British movie where winch truck rescued a light tank in a farm field. They pounded in iron pins with sledge hammers and laced snatch blocks to a main pulling block to move the tank. I would put a small clevis and a short chain on the back of the plow beam to pull the anchor out after use. Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks