• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red Dawn Deuce

Elwenil

Agreed, with the sleeper I always assumed it was some sort of short nosed KW, but now that I'm more knowledgeable about MVs, it is definately some sort of M35 variant. Probably something the movie studio worked up. The Soviet anti air vehicle in the same movie was a homemade piece and was pretty impressive.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also is sporting a 14' bed from a 5 ton. That would leave a 3' gap and that looks like a 36" bunk.

littlebob

My favorite is the four-stroke dirt bikes with the two-stroke sound, I can't hardly finish watching the movie after I hear it.
littlebob

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That is one of the old "coffin" type sleepers normally used on road tractors of the day. Capacity one wide and two deep (ask my ex-wife) :shock:. There is every reason to suspect my oldest son was concieved in the sleeper of a Freightliner in West Memphis Ark during a blizzard. :wink:
There is no way you could sleep in that thing going down the road.....it would beat your teeth out.
Normally you crawled into them through a small hole in the back of the cab.
It's possible they may have converted that one with a bench seat in it to haul more than the normal three man capacity of a duece.
They could have taken the bed off of a long bed duece, added the sleeper and put a regular size bed on it.
It's a red headed step child for sure. :cookoo:

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
I'm voting for another Deuce from "Crazy Muhammad's" conversion lot.

Obviously, unbeknown to the motoring American public and with help from illegal immigrants from mexico, the former forces of the Warsaw Pact were operating a criminal organization whose sole aim was to undermine the structural integrity of American military vehicles during the historic 1984 incursion into the central U.S. from which the documentary, "Red Dawn" was made.

That's the best I can do.

halftrack

About a year ago I met the assit. producer for the movie Red Dawn. He still brags about it. It specifically came up that extreme efforts were made to make the Russian equipment look "Russian". The soviet tanks he said were also American tanks with the upper guide rollers removed to make it look like the Russian droopy type tracks. He said there was a big up roar from the government of how they were in possession of a Russian soviet tank at a time when no one had one while in fact it was just a nice conversion job. If you look closely at the Russian heavy machine guns, they are in fact M60s made to look Russian with the cooling fins on them (I didn't even catch that until about the 20th time watching the fin.

Its still one of my favorite movies to watch and also scared the shit out of me as a kid during the cold war. Those were the good ole days.

Elwenil

The story about the Govt. getting interested in the anti-air vehicle is in the notes in the DVD I have also. Interesting stuff and one of my all time favorite movies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks