• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red Dot A/C kit alternator requirement

Kantgetwrite

I am getting ready to start installing the Red Dot AC kit on my 1993 M998. I was looking through the instructions and seen that a minimum of a 100amp alternator is required, AC using 20amps. Will the stock 60amp really not keep up. I am running NOS LEDs and nothing extra taxing the electrical system. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

erasedhammer

I am getting ready to start installing the Red Dot AC kit on my 1993 M998. I was looking through the instructions and seen that a minimum of a 100amp alternator is required, AC using 20amps. Will the stock 60amp really not keep up. I am running NOS LEDs and nothing extra taxing the electrical system. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The 60 amp gen can keep up, but with the alt you cannot add any addition electrical load until an upgrade is done, which you might want to do. Electrical upgrades might include military or civi radios running on either 24v or 12v (dual voltage is nice for this), phone plug in, stereo system, LED light bars, electric warn winch.

I believe the reason the military recommends a minimum of 100 amp is because they run radios with the 60 amp, and a 20 amp load with addition radios and amplifiers is too much.

If you plan on having the above mentioned upgrades, do the 100 or 200 amp alt install now. the alt itself is expensive, $400+. all the parts necessary for install is cheap, entire install kit is $40 on ebay.

Kantgetwrite

Where is the best place for me to find the 100amp alternator needed? I don't see any real need for the 200amp or the price that comes with it. Can my original 60amp be built up to a 100amp?

erasedhammer

Where is the best place for me to find the 100amp alternator needed? I don't see any real need for the 200amp or the price that comes with it. Can my original 60amp be built up to a 100amp?
eBay has hem I think. Personally I haven't seen the 100 amp much, just the 200 amp cause it's the more popular one.

I don't think it would be a good idea to build up the tired old 60 amp

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks