• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Redstone Deuces - 2 questions

MDSA

I've been on Steel Soldiers for about 2 years and never seen so many deuces for sale at one GL site. Is there a story behind this many trucks up for auction?

I can't go that far to preview, but wonder if it's worth bidding. What kind of shape do the Redstone deuces tend to be in? I know it's a crap shoot.

Thanx

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Rusty-I was out there 2 weeks ago to pick one up.

Other than that, they are about average.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was an earlier post about trucks being taken from the midwest (think Ohio, Indiana, etc.) there because GL does not have the space to keep them at the other points, just like they are renting the large warehouse in Oklahoma City where smaller stuff will wind up from all over the middle of the country. Consolidation is the name of the game and it's being forced by DRMO in the new contract signed last year.

Southerneze

While there 2 weeks ago, was told Redstone would be a major collection point for trucks and trailers. Like the first post most are from the midwest with some rust. Saw some from IA, IL KS, & FL

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are so many trucks up right now because they are purging them from the system. This flood can't possibly last forever. If I were not inundated with so many fairly expensive projects, I'd like to grab five or six or them...but I just don't have the money to draw $10K away from the other trucks.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have bought several deuces from Redstone lately and there are a lot of them coming from up in the rust belt.
The last three I got had some small rust spots but none were eat up with it.
I was told the same thing about trucks being shipped there.
Fewer sales points means less overhead but it also means the gooberment is paying to ship the vehicles down here.......your tax dollars at work. :rolleyes:

50shooter

I too have heard the shipping comments. Some ILNG trucks hit the system. I was excited thinking I could pick some up locally. No such luck. They told me that every one was shipping to Alabama. I'm assuming Redstone. The Govt will spend more on logistics than they will get out of the trucks.

halftrack

Not to mention all the potential damage they are doing to the trucks by moving them around and on and off loading them. We all know how careful they are at those sites. They treat all the trucks as if they were their own. Ya, right!

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Multiple loads coming into Redstone from IL this week. Another GL cutting move: paying $400 per M105 to ship from Starke to Redstone; then selling them for $200. Doesn't sound like a good business plan to me.

Blood_of_Tyrants

If they pay $400 to move a $200 M105, then they are probably paying $1500 to move a $1200 deuce. And then giving GL $500 per sale. The government could lose money selling, well, you know.:wink:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Some ILNG trucks hit the system. I was excited thinking I could pick some up locally. No such luck. They told me that every one was shipping to Alabama. I'm assuming Redstone.
I was down there getting a preview and I would say over half of the trucks being sold there this month were from IL guard units! Also a bunch from the 33rd and 35th Div.

jrou111

I was there on Friday and they were 10 tractor trailers lined up with 2 deuces each waiting to unload.

I walked around and looked at the IL ARNG trucks and they looked pretty rough :| If you're planning on bidding I'd be careful.

ccequipment

I used to buy trucks from drexel gardens, but that is all but done, so I bought 6 from redstone. I have been buying them cheaper down there and getting them home shipped to me for less than than I was buying for in Indiana. I had one truck come in that was from a base about 30 miles from me. Makes no sense to haul them 400+ miles and sell them for less, then I haul them 400 mile back, but that is the name of the game. The trucks are a little rougher than normal. They are a little rough on loading them, they have no loading dock down there, they pick them up with a forklift and set the front and the rear up on the trailer. I got a couple with fresh dents on the fenders, I guess thats what you get.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm frustrated looking for options to get mine home

I'm a new member, but been lurking as a guest since I read Sarge's Katrina story several years ago. Sarge, You're just a good man, and the drinks are on me when we meet.:beer:

Anyway, I won my first two deuces last week - 4107/3547 and 4107/3619 - probably normal condition before they were shipped to Redstone according to the photos. No telling what they will look like when they are finally offloaded:|:mad:. The reason I bought these two is they have consequtive serial numbers!:-D

Anyway, I called last week and this week, and, while the lady was pleasant, they didn't know if my trucks were at Redstone or not! Both times, they were going to check and call back, but no calls yet. I was in Tuscaloosa on Tuesday and wanted to check whether they were drivable, but now I'm back in Louisiana again and may not be able to get back to AL for a couple-three weeks.

Does anyone have a rough idea of the trucking costs with 2 deuces travelling ~470 miles on one semi truck? Do I have to have a ramp to off load the semi, or can a lowboy haul 2 deuces? I'm still hesitant to let GL use a forklift for the 3rd time to load these trucks.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are trucks coming from all over including LA, FL, and the midwest. We were just there monday. GL is not the ones shipping it is DRMO. The Govt is paying the shipping before they are turned into GL so it does not cut into GL's profit. They are coming from sites that don't have the storage facilities. Some are perfect some have major issues. The trucks MAY be listed before they even get there. We were trying to find one and they did not think it arrived yet. It is a total crap shoot, either preview or plan on a parts truck and hope for the best.

zb39

I have 2 coming today on a step deck. 400 miles, $650, maybe i could have done better but i wanted them now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks