CA register a Humvee Street Legal in California

BAJATMMBC

Hi, Everyone, does anyone how to register a 1999 m1097A2 in California for Street legal use ?
Thank you in advance for the help.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's bad. So bad I have to get permission from the state DMV before CHP will inspect my 1986 M936A2. I want historic plates. It has historic plates in Michigan mhere I bought it. They don't care. Insist it's commercial. So I'm writing a letter to the DMV in Sacramento.....

Here's what they are referencing: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/06/VIN-2017-26-Government-Surplus-Vehicles.pdf
good luck…they don’t care, it’s not just this, but you are fighting CARB…a complete Nazi organizatio.
I tried for a year with a state representative to just talk with a low level aid at DMV In Sacramento.

KN6KXR

You can appeal this stuff. Maybe you have a chance for older, out of current use and mint condition MV's for historic plates (like my wrecker). They haven't given a good reason to deny you historic if it meets all the requirements. If you have a HMMWV you are screwed. The problem with historic is the remote VIN verifiers won't touch it. So then you have to go to DMV and they think it's a HMMWV and round you go. At the end of the day all the historic stuff winds up in Sacramento anyway for review. It's getting past the DMV field offices that's the time suck.

As for CARB, which applies to commercial but not historic, you're limited to 1968 and earlier due to no federal emissions label. That's pretty much it.

Also the whacky 7,500 mile thing. They freaked at the miles on my wrecker. Tried to explain the reset and the RSMS they don't care (again). So I asked Boyce to ship me a new ODO, they said something about commie bastards in CA, sent me a used one with over 7,500 for free. Maybe I'll retire to Utah they seem nice out there.....

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can appeal this stuff. Maybe you have a chance for older, out of current use and mint condition MV's for historic plates (like my wrecker). They haven't given a good reason to deny you historic if it meets all the requirements. If you have a HMMWV you are screwed. The problem with historic is the remote VIN verifiers won't touch it. So then you have to go to DMV and they think it's a HMMWV and round you go. At the end of the day all the historic stuff winds up in Sacramento anyway for review. It's getting past the DMV field offices that's the time suck.

As for CARB, which applies to commercial but not historic, you're limited to 1968 and earlier due to no federal emissions label. That's pretty much it.

Also the whacky 7,500 mile thing. They freaked at the miles on my wrecker. Tried to explain the reset and the RSMS they don't care (again). So I asked Boyce to ship me a new ODO, they said something about commie bastards in CA, sent me a used one with over 7,500 for free. Maybe I'll retire to Utah they seem nice out there.....
Again, say what you want, I lived it and still do…I’ve spent hundreds of hours on the phone.
The folks at DMV and CARB DO NOT CARE ABOUT LAWS…PERIOD.
In the words of a CARB senior manager…”Calif does not and has never allowed ex-militray vehicle on the road”
that is a direct quote.
The other is “TC” Technical Compliance wanting me to get a smog on my 1986 6.5 Diesel engine….Calif law is clear, 1997 and below require NO SMOG….they don’t care.
My Congressman could give a rats ass either…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks