• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering a Deuce in Ohio issues.

undysworld

Hey Guys,
It might be time to start a thread over on the Politics Related to the MV Hobby sub-forum. That's maybe where this discussion belongs? Being in this sub-forum, only deuce owners are likely to see it.
Lots of the same issues have already been faced (or are being faced) by other states. We need to keep everybody united.

undysworld

If I could chime in, ALL vehicles manufactured in the United States and sold to the U.S. Government for use on roads, meet all MVSS standards applicable to that vehicle in the year that it was manufactured. That means that the 15 digit VIN also meets the criteria contrary to what you may hear from the idiots behind the counter.
Unfortunately, the easiest way to deal with this is to go to a different branch. Another avenue might be to pick up a form at the Secretary of State that is used to verify the VIN by the local police. Have the police verify the VIN and then tell your Secretary of State that you want a new Ohio State title and plates while you are waiting for the new police verified title.... They wont argue with you.
This isn't exactly correct.

Since around 1981, the "standard" VIN is 17-digits. Nevertheless, most newer military vehicles (other than Blazers, pickups, Impalas, etc.) do not have a 17-digit VIN. So DMV's VIN-recognition software does not confirm FMVSS-compliance of the vehicle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

FMVSS apply to civilian vehicles, but FMVSS requirements do not apply to vehicles manufactured under contract for the US armed forces, per Title 49 US Code. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.7
What does apply to military vehicles is MIL-STD-1180-B. That is the contractual specifications for motor vehicles built for the US armed forces, and tells exactly what sort of safety equipment MILITARY VEHICLES must have.

78buford

Thanks guys. I appreciate all posts, and all advice.

To make a long story short, I was able to register it. I had to get "commercial" plates due to the GVW.

It now has a $262 license plate on it. Yeah, two hundred and sixty two dollars...but it is licensed, registered, insured, etc.

I sincerely appreciate all of the advice you guys gave me.

Going to the different BMV's was very helpful advice. I got lucky on the first one. Zanesville, Ohio.

Dumb-dumb worker at the title office.
Decent people at the BMV.

I will try to post a picture of the jewel on here. Yes, the red wheels are hideous...Forestry Department used to own it. I have three cans of olive drab to fix that. ;)

Thanks,
Roy

davidb56

Im sure your biggest hurdle to clear will be the title. Sometimes you just cant get the signature/s you need. If you have a title, usually registering it has different avenues you can go, such as Historical, commercial, farm, personal truck......my M35A2 reg shows "pick up", because its under 16K. Make sure you can get the title first.

davidb56

why did I reply to a old thread? Thats right Im over sixty. I see I was trying to reply to another title/registration thread and clicked onto this thread.....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks