• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering Dueces in CA - questions.

icentropy

Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying a M35A3. I heard that M35's can be registered as historic vehicles in CA to avoid weight fees and commercial vehicle issues, but i don't know if that applies to M35A3's since i think they're 1993 vehicles. Anyone know what my options in CA are?

Thanks

icentropy

Thanks for the link, i just read all 12 pages and got a lot of info. Basically figured out I can't drive a 3 axle duece without a class B license. I don't want to have to go there so now i'm focused on the options for a bobbed duece. I think a commercially registered duece should be able to be bobbed then registered as a 2 axle truck that only required a Class C license. The only extra requirement would be the yearly extra weight fee. (just like on my Hummer) Then I suppose one could cover the back and take it to the AAA for reclassification as a personal auto to remove the "commercial weight" fee....i think...

You'll have to go by the VIN on the frame and figure out when that truck was build and register it that way.
If the truck was originally built over 25 years ago (all dueces were right?) but then reworked into an A3 in 1998 and registered by the previous owner as a 1993, could it be re-registered with the year on the frame (if it even has a year on the frame)?

Clay James

You're more likely to get away with not having a CDL if it's registered historic or RV if you have a 109. My friend and I have both been pulled over in our historic registered deuces with regular class Cs and they didn't say anything. Still depends on the cop though. When it's historic it's classified as an auto so no weight fees. I didn't even have to get weight certificates on both of my deuces I registered historic.

The frame on an A3 is almost certainly over 25 years old. They really care more about the frame VIN anyways. It's basically just an old truck that was completely overhauled and updated so figure out the date on the frame and go that way.

Last edited:

goodguyzy

I had a talk with CHP when I broke down on I-5. They said no CDL required for a deuce. But as you will read on the searches this issue is up in the air. To solve your problem you can buy my A3 and I will register it as whatever you want. :p

quickfarms

If the CHP officer was driving a black and white car he may not be aware of the law.

If the CHP officer was driving a pickup truck or a white car then he was a commercial officer.

The problem is that the law is on the books and if they want to enforce it they can impound your truck.

you need to read what is written on your form 97, if the year is listed as older than 25 years than you are good to go. If it is newer you may be able to get it regestered as a special interest vehicle.