• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registration and Insurance for these big trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMX70

I am trying to figure out how to register and insure my 5 ton crane tractor truck. Anyone with a 1990's era 5 ton and up truck register it for personal use? I also want to avoid getting a CDLif at all possible, any suggestions?
For Insurance, I tried Gulfway insurance and the truck was to new. Plus they wanted any vehicle garaged. Is there a Military truck insurer that will cover newer personally owned military trucks?

Also what GVW and GCVW are people putting on the title for the 5 ton trucks? My truck wieghs 38k by itself. I think 62K is GVW (18k front and 44k rear) and 25 K payload. Does this sound correct?

Thanks for any info.

SierraHotel

Mine is through state farm...no garage, but a limit of 2,000.00 miles per year.
Doreen Wallace
State Farm Insurance
10559 Crestwood Drive
Manassas, VA 20109
phone 703-335-9500 fax 703-335-9016

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=110650&highlight=#110650

I've been the route of titling in Virginia. If you go antique, there are no CDL, weight or other issues (other than how far you can drive it for non-antique related stuff). Putting in the Affadavit in lieu of Title for is cheaper than getting GL's SF-97. Unfortunately Warrenton is not far enough out to be easy. I got mine through Richmond. My saga is here
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=109027&highlight=#109027

I think Chris just got himself a nice big 5 ton, so he should be able to help you in that area.
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! I am quite green with envy over your truck...it's my ultimate goal.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sorry to be short, but some of these subjects have been covered clearly already in dealing with Virginia law recently. Please use the search function.

Read my posts to both of these threads they cover the Titling and CDL subjects.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=109077&highlight=#109077
Summary-Follow my step-by-step or pay GL $60 to get the SF-97.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10584&highlight=cdl
Summary-If it isn't commercial then you don't have to HAVE to get a CDL. You may want one though with something that big.

I would put the weight that is on the data plate. Two reasons you would be putting false info on the titling/registration form, and you probably don't want any surprises if you ever get pulled to be weighted.

Usually Gulfway does not require vehicles to be garaged, and I think a sizeable number of us use them, including me. If you talk about insurance reseller like your local guys make sure you ask who would be writting the policy. Follow up on restrictions with that company as somes times what the reseller tells you may be different then reality.

AMX70

Thanks for the info.
I did see those past postings. But my issue is a little different. Thus I need advice from people whom have titled and registered 5 ton and over trucks.
Here is my dilemma. My truck has no data plate with any specifications. All it has is a VIN and Unit number. Doing research on Zeligson I found out it was a prototype and a one or two of this design. I also found out the company went under in early 1991. The GSA listing had it listed as a 1985, but I found 1990 and 91 ID tags on the engine and trans, plus the air lines are marked 1989/90.
So I worked with GSA and obtain a 1991 SF97, but do I really want to title it as a 90's era vehicle. So far no one can verify the year. Thus I would really like it to be a 1981. I think you see where I am going. (Antique tags) :D

With all that in mind if I do title it as 1991, I am concerned about driving it without a CDL. It sticks out like a sore thumb and I think susceptible to being pulled over. So that's why I would like to have my weigh limits recorded correctly on the title. The SF97 has no values written on it. Thus the question on what other 5 ton owners have for weigh limits. I think 62K is GVW with the suspension I have, but what is combined?

I will call Gulfway again. But need to resolve what year this thing is and a model number would be nice.
Anyone have a VIN decoding capability? Do you think DMV has this capability?

Thanks, John

ida34

You do not need a cdl if it is only used for personal purposes and you are not making money with it. Go with what ever year GSA put on the SF-97. At this point, if you try to title it in any other way then you are commiting fraud to avoid paying the proper fees. You are more likely to be pulled over if you do not have commercial markings on such a large truck but having a CDL in hand will not change that. I am not sure if MV's followed federal guidelines on VINs but after 1981 VINs were required to follow a specific format that would yield what year your vehicle is. Is the VIN 17 digits? If it is 17 digits it is probably a standard vin and you or any officer can decode the year and other items from it. I too have long rants about the need for a CDL. Searching for them will give you the info I have on it. If you can not come up with a gross weight then take it to some scales and weigh it. Have you checked for the -10 manuals in the manual section? If you have not then do so and you may find the info you want.

AMX70

I agree that I dont want to commit fraud. But I have both a SF97 for it as a 1985 and 1991. All I did was call them (GSA) and tell them per my investigation,(as stated above) I thought it was a 1991 and 2 days later I had a new SF97 with 1991 as the year. NO model number weights or any other data besides make and VIN. It was just too easy.
Yes it is a 17 digit VIN and per what I have found the 10th digit determines year. It is a letter "M" thus I think its a 1991. I just wanted to see if anyone else has a newer Mil vehicle with a Federal guidlines VIN.
On the weight I store it at a quarry and have weighed it numerous times. Its 38k by itself, rated for 62k per the suspension components. But I need to know the max capacity trailer I can pull. I have seen 5 ton tractor ID plates that state15K payload. That seems very low to me.
For now I will proceed without worrying about the CDL, but it makes me nervous.

Thanks

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the major components (axles, trans ect) have dates on them. Not 100% but should give you an idea. I took my SF-97 into DMV and they asked for the Gross weight ect and entered it with no documentation.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you check all 3 axles, trans, transfer case, & engine. Odds are you can get the year. How many units routinely change axle housings???? :wink:

AMX70

I checked all axles and transfer case for ID long ago. All have the rivet holes but no tags. My deuce had the tags, so I know what your saying.
The trans is a Road Ranger CEEMAT autoshift, when I pulled the ECU cover it had "Engineering Sample" stamped on it. Talking to Eaton they had no record of it and stated this type trans was in development around 1989/90. This is a very odd truck in many ways. Even the frame rails were custom made out of channel then notched out to drop the overall height. Custom made from the ground up.

I am 99.9% sure it is a 1991 truck the components all make sense for the era.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats strange. Also, my axles have the date stamped into the housing 2-3 inches below the data plates (really hard to see under all the paint).

jeli

I'd triple check your state for CDL, especially if you ever plan on going out of state. CDL is federal but each state has their own laws too. A 38K truck pulling a trailer of any decent size is a lot of weight over the 26K limit. A pntle hitch and enough weight gets you into a class A license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks