• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registration change for Bob?

Lorax

After seeing people "bob" their trucks, has anyone changed their truck registration after the bob? Going to 2 axles instead of 3 on the DMV form, etc? Lowering the weight, etc?

This may be a stupid question, since it involves the DMV, but has anyone had any problems changing their registration?

ida34

This is a sticky situation and I am sure I will ruffle feathers but you asked. If you bob a deuce you have sufficiently changed it from its original configuration that you need to get it retitled as a home built vehicle. This would require inspections and a state issued vin number. I have seen guys that take a camaro body and put it on a blazer frame get in trouble for not having the title in proper order. If you modify the truck past a certain point it is actually a "new" truck made from old parts. This is nitpicky point but if you get the right LEO looking at it you would really have a major problem. Please don't flame me. I am just the messenger. Those that know what I do know that I do know the law as it pertains to this situation. I am more practiced on Michigan law so check with your local DMV to ask what you need to get this thing legal. I have a F350 with a rotted cab. I picked up a good cab and plan to change them. To keep it legal I have to get a new state issued vin. Since the truck did not change substantially except to changed part with the same parts my truck will still be a 91 F350. If I tried to change the vin I would be commiting a felony. If I just drove as is I would get a hassle for having a F150 vin attached to a F350 (unregistered vehicle). If I added a third axle I would need to get it titled and registed with a state issued vin that would show a 2009 built by me. Most states will have similar laws regarding vins and changing vehicles.

Willie G

Background: 30+ years as a cop and prosecutor.... :roll:

That said, I would expect that some old guy driving a MV is pretty low on the list of folks to harass. But as Chuck noted, it only takes one young rookie to give you grief - hopefully his supervisor is nearby to get him straight.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. But that's me. I likely won't be around if you get stopped (and probably wouldn't be much help if I was....).

If it worries you, go ask your local or state LEOs. I don't put much stock in the DMV.

YMMV, as always.