• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reinforced Deuce frames

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the M108 use a reinforced frame? If so do any other 2.5 tons use the same? Maybe a M49 tanker? Anyone have a few pics of the reinforcements? I have heard they look like a doubler in the middle of the frame rail and want to see one to compare to a regular duece.

jasonjc

RE: Reinforced duece frames

The M36 long bed has a double frame and I think the M764 earth boring truck has a reinforced frame also.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M108 frame is doubled and I think the M342A2 tipper is as well. The pics are captioned. It starts just behind the front springs and stops at the rear tandems.It loooks like plate on the sides, bar stock on the bottom with the spacers in it and they seem to be stitch welded together. Honestly, some of the areas look torch cut. Hope this helps!

Attachments

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The reinforcement on the earth boring machine goes only from the tandems to the rear of the frame, and is not as substantial as that of the M108.

Regards,
David

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So would it be possible to "upgrade" a standard frame to handle the 108 bed or would you pretty much have to have an origional? Any ideas?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Memphis Equipment routinely adds fishplate reinforcements to truck frames. That being said, they start wtih an absolutely bare frame and use magnetic drills to bore the holes, and use huck rivets to secure the fishplates. This typically is a multi-day process, that I'd be reluctant to attempt in even an advanced shade-tree setting.

Of note as well, the axles beneath a M108 have different part numbers than those used on cargo trucks, and I believe the suspension differs as well.

Regards,
David

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
David, you are correct on the rear tandems, they are setup similar to the M62, with a sloped beam on top of the springs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks