• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

relay will not shut off

hobie237

What relay are you talking about? Glow plug? Starter? Injection pump?

I'm assuming that you're talking about the starter relay, as welding themselves shut is a common failure mode. Replace it with a new one. One of the part numbers for that relay is AC40, any good auto parts store should be able to cross that. I think I paid $12 for the last one I bought.

Armada

I always replace the glow plug relay, and the starter relay under the dash as soon as I get a cucv. It's good insurance. They will fail by either not coming on or staying on. If they stay on, it will cause even more damage. You could cook a starter, wreck a flywheel, melt down the glowplugs, etc.
On the first cucv I ever owned, the starter relay stuck on and before I could get the batts disconnected the insulation on the starter wiring caught fire. By the time I got it put out I had to replace the starter, all of the wiring and a couple hoses and other misc. parts on the right side of the engine and firewall. Could have been worse though. Learned a couple lessons. Always carry a fire extinguisher and install new relays so you know what you have.

hobie237

Just unplug it after you're done with the glow plugs until you can find a replacement. Lots of guys wind up using a Ford relay, I forget the number, but a search should turn it up.

Michael

The answer is in the FAQ thread in the sticky at the top of this forum. I used the ST85 relay the last time I replaced one. It is almost an exact match for the one the military used and is made in the USA. It even came with new nuts on all the posts.

hobie237

Last I looked they were a bit over $100. Used stock units are in the $30 range, but you never know how much life is left in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks