• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reliability of a deuce vs a 1980's suburban or F350?

alfred10

Where can I get a Deuce other than ebay? They are selling rotted ones for five grand. How reliable would a deuce be for a snow and bug out vehicle when compared to an 80's suburban or newer f350/suburban? Whats the model number for the one with the camper back and what was this camper back used for in the military? I am looking for something I can drive into the woods to go hunting and live out of for a few days. Also for a blizzard snow vehicle and SHTF long term bugout house. I will prob get larger tires for the snow.

Will a deuce sit in my yard and start up and go reliably when I need it to?

Sephirothq

I have a nice cargo truck M35a2 with a winch, heater, soft top, turbo, title and nice paint in pa that I would sell. let me know if you are interested.

I also have a few m109a3 that I would sell as well.

Other then ebay you have government liquidations you can buy from

Or GSA has the trucks from time to time.
Or you can buy them from a private party,
the choice is yours.

shannondeese

Reliability is about on par with all the other trucks in my driveway/yard. As long as they are not mad at me they all work. Once in a while something will piss a truck off and she just stops. After a few days of applying liberal amounts of attention she'll fire up and run again. My personal thoughts are my Deuce is more reliable than my 78 Chevy, about the same as my 95 Ford and not as reliable as my wifes Jeep. 2cents

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will a deuce sit in my yard and start up and go reliably when I need it to?
Yes - if it is maintained. Starting and going is one thing, stopping is another. You want a Deuce where the brakes have been meticulously gone over, it does not leak at all from anywhere around the wheels, and does not have a current draw from the batteries with the master switch off.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had many of the same questions as you did. I spent about a solid week of reading this site and found the answers to all of your questions and mine as well. The answers have already been written, and the most knowledgeable people are probably tired of repeating themselves. The best tool I have found for getting information here is Google.

To effectively search this site, put in your search words in the search box on Google plus site:steelsoldiers.com like this example, copy and paste this in the search box and see what happens

deuce reliability site:steelsoldiers.com

You won't get a lot of answers for common questions if you haven't made some effort to read what's already been written. There is a collective of years of time that has been spent writing here already with all of your questions already answered.

Last edited:

greenjeepster

They may be listing them for 5 K on ebay, but they are not selling for that.

On the reliability front how much reliability do you really expect to get from a 3 K rig? Regardless of weather it is a Suburban, F350 or Deuce, you will get 3 K worth of reliability.

These trucks are old... if you want reliability you will have to pay for it in a truck that has been completely overhauled.

The truck with the box is an M109 and they were used for everything from shop trucks to radio trucks.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Look up in the top tool bar on the front page alfred10...there is a search button there. I'm just learning to use it myself after over 2 years and being told to "do a search" LOL

Type in M109 or M185A3 and you can find threads on several RVs that have been built by members here.

You can also look at the "resources tab" and find all kinds of technical data on different trucks.

It's all just a learning experience and the search function helps greatly. Heck...I get lost on this site just reading about stuff I don't even have a question about...the knowledge is here my friend:grin:

wsucougarx

Along with using that great search function this site offers, be prepared for several late night readings. When I first started out my research, it was not uncommon to find myself reading until 0200 hrs in the morning. There is a so much information in here and real world experiences that the TM's really can't give you. Use the search function and you'll be surprised at the number of pages that will come up....it's pretty awesome!!!!

N1265

Altho the suburban is easier to drive and work on, you cant stand up in a suburban... If you plan on having to live out of a vehicle for any period of time, expecially if you plan on parking it in a woods, I would go with the M109.