• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing a runflat

MAdams

Is there a way one of these run flats can be removed in a home shop? Unlike a beadlock I cannot get a strap around the outer circumference and squeeze it down into the shape of a bean

s-l1600.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is there a way one of these run flats can be removed in a home shop? Unlike a beadlock I cannot get a strap around the outer circumference and squeeze it down into the shape of a bean

View attachment 663085
Chain the tire off to a tree and the runflat to a truck and drive off.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

MAdams

The problem is that the runflat is too big and I can't get my hands in there to wrap a chain around it. It's way bigger than a beadlock. I'm thinking I need to expand the bead so I have some room to work

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While the one I have pictured is not a 20", the basic procedure is pretty much the same for all rubber runflats: lube well and apply brute force...!

Nomadic

In regards to getting the strap in the tire and around the runflat, consider using a wire lead like rebar wire or nomex/copper wire and feed that in-between the runflat and the tire. Have one end of the wire connected to your strap. Once the wire is through, keep pulling the wire and the strap will follow. Fair warning I haven't done this before, but if your hand won't fit in there to push the strap through a wire-runner may do the trick.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Dunno if you know or not, the run flat for a 395 weighs in at 160lbs. If you do like they did in the video, make sure you have a second strap to stop the run flat, once its out. Lots of harm/damage could come from one zinging around.

MAdams

160lbs and 37" in diameter! All that coming out of a 20" hole. I'm not sure pulling it out is possible with the method in that video.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
160lbs and 37" in diameter! All that coming out of a 20" hole. I'm not sure pulling it out is possible with the method in that video.
I completely agree. Everyone I know who has removed the 20" runflats did it with a sawzall. I would like for anyone who has pulled a 20" runflat out like a HMMWV one to post up!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'd be amazed how big of an item you can get in or out of a small hole if you use enough lube.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks