• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing blower housing

Crawdaddy

I am trying to replace my oil filter housing on my MEP-003, and to get it off, I have to disconnect the oil cooler lines inside the blower housing. I removed all the obvious bolts around the perimeter of the housing, and tried to pull it off. It seems like it's not wanting to come off around the air shutter assembly. So, what's the trick to getting this blower housing off the generator? I've looked in the -12 and -34 and neither seems to explain how to get it off.

Thankis for the help.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel your pain. I dropped a wrench down inside my blower housing once. I took out all the obvious bolts and could never get the blower housing removed, although it was loose. Fortunatley, i was able to snag the wrench and get it out so I never completely removed the blower housing. I'm sure someone on here can help you.

steelandcanvas

Crawdaddy, I removed mine last year to media blast and paint. I recall it being a bear, just when I thought I had all the bolts out, something else was preventing removal. I just studied the diagrams of the cooling system, the -12 & -34 doesn't show all the fasteners holding that shroud to the engine block. I know there was a bolt down at the bottom I missed trying to remove the shroud, maybe you did the same? I wish I could be of more help to you.

derf

On the MEP-016B there are little sound deadening panels of foam that are under the scroll cover. You have to remove most of them to find the attaching bolts underneath.
I haven't been into an 003, yet, but I think I might soon.

RichardR

What's still holding the blower housing on is one of the three bolts (in triangular formation) that hold the round air screen on the front of the unit. Had the hardest time figuring that out myself. To look at it, you'd think those bolts only hold the air screen to the blower housing sheet metal, but one of them goes through the blower housing sheet metal and screws into a bracket on the engine block. I'll bet there have been lots of these ripped off by frustrated GIs. :oops:

jbk

besides the one on the grill up front theirs also a small 3/8 bolt up on the shroud on the batt. side that screws to the oil cooler bracket.

Crawdaddy

JBK was right on. That was the bolt I was mising. Because it's in the middle of the shroud, one thinks that it's holding something onto the shroud, and not the shroud onto the set.

I still can't get the set started, but that's for another thread. Thank you all for your help.